Obtaining domain

Started by Devon555, November 08, 2016, 10:11:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devon555

If i want my own forum can i buy my domain through Simple machines?

If so let me know how, if not what is the best place to get one for the easiest SMF install/setup.

Thanking you in advance,
Dev

Kindred

no. Simple Machines does not do hosting or domain registration.

We provide the software. that is all. Acquiring a host and a domain is up to you...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

vevomack

You can get a domain from godaddy or namecheap, and they also provide the best hosting plans even for low business or low usage a site users.

Kindred

no they do not....    their hosting plans are only acceptable - and sometimes not even that.

You've made a whole bunch of posts which are only partially correct - in some cases totally wrong.  Please check your facts before resurrecting old posts with responses.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Tope02

Kindred,
There are many newbie here that don't know simple stuff like registering domain name, web hosting etc but are eager to learn. And I must confess, I fall into this class of people.

If you won't mind, here some questions I want to ask.

Can you kindly list web hosting company whose plan work perfectly well with SMF?

In setting up a forum, which type of hosting plan do you recommend for newbie like me to buy?

Many thanks in anticipating your responses.

Illori

Devon555

Quote from: Illori on January 11, 2017, 05:46:58 PM
you should not have any issues with the hosts listed here http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?board=155.0

are these hosts still good to go today? Asking cause this is pretty old.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

You may want to ask around, and compare them a bit, but as far as I know they're still around after all these years - they can't be all bad ;)
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Biology Forums

Quote from: vevomack on December 05, 2016, 06:35:27 PM
You can get a domain from godaddy or namecheap, and they also provide the best hosting plans even for low business or low usage a site users.

They're terrible and expensive

Bigguy

Namecheap is a good host, you are right thought they are a tad costly.

vbgamer45

I use namesilo a lot now
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Sir Osis of Liver

Crocweb is very good, been with them for several years, inexpensive and support is excellent.  I've moved a half dozen or so forums there from other hosts, they've all been very impressed with the service.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

muffinabyss

Porkbun are rather decent as a domain registrar (cheaper than Namecheap and a FAR better UI). Only minor downside is they don't offer .uk domains as of right now.

As for web hosting, don't go for a big provider (if you're going for shared hosting) or a free/cheap/budget host, these are almost always awful. The major and budget hosts (eg Hostinger, GoDaddy, HostGator) tend to lock you in or fool you with cheaper advertised prices only for longer terms...

I don't normally share my own things but felt this was relevant if anyone was thinking of testing a free web host, that's always a bad idea and this article I wrote pretty much says why when it comes to the ton of MOFH resellers out there: hxxp:www.hazylo.li/why-to-avoid-byethost-infinityfree-profreehost-even-for-testing-purposes/ [nonactive]

Biology Forums

Advertisement: