News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

SMF won't send emails

Started by JUNK de LUXE, November 23, 2016, 05:33:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JUNK de LUXE

Before I emigrated my forum, it was able to send email on new topics, password resets etc.. but after moving it, the email don't work anymore.

Everything else works fine.

Please tell me what to check for, which settings or php values I could alter etc..

JUNK de LUXE

Thanks for the reply :)

This was my process after reading it.

Check for errors within your forum error log
This is the error I saw in the log
http://hillgrove.dk/forum/index.php?action=admin;area=mailqueue;sa=clear;f51250c=c018e4b8d5e71df7edc8cdcae18a1e9b
Kunne ikke få svar fra mailserveren

(last message is loosely translated: "Could not get an answer from the mailserver)

Is my server blacklisted?
Tried using the Sorbs site but it still (after 30 mins) havn't send me my email verification. I've tried other blacklist sites that tell me I'm not listed.

Using GMAIL SMTP?
This came as a surprise as I used Gmail SMTP before I migrated my site (and it worked then). In order to test this I created a new webmail account on my webhost and used those credentials to send with instead. These were my new error logs:

http://hillgrove.dk/forum/index.php?action=admin;area=mailqueue;sa=clear;f51250c=c018e4b8d5e71df7edc8cdcae18a1e9b
Løb ind i problemer med at sende mail. Fejl: 554 5.7.1 <unknown[94.231.103.118]>: Client host rejected: Internal relay is not allowed

(Loosely translated: Encountered problems sending mail. Error: 554 5.7.1 etc)

Server configured correctly for sending mail?
The testmail.php script works fine. It reports success and it send me an email.

What else can I do?

richardwbb

I can't read 'Kunne ikke få svar fra mailserveren'.

If the test you mentioned, works, then PHP mail is configured correct. I assume that is with your host?

If you try to use Gmail, that might end somewhere, because Gmail itself might be stopping things. I can't tell from what source both errors came. Do you know this?

I have had some issues with e-mail function with SMF, but that I'm almost sure of has to do with something else then SMF itself. It was with an ISP.

You might want to try using an alternate e-mail server, in SMF there is a setting 'PHP mail' and this can be changed to. Not sure if you did that, your message is a little unclear to me.

Let us know where you are now with this issue, and I wouldn't mind if you tell me more details. I didn't see such error's comming from SMF itself, and I've spent quite a few hours. It had to do with changing [email protected] to [email protected] and that just didn't came up with me, since no-reply worked for years. Also, I had it running with an alternate e-mail server, it ran for a while, it borked, switched to PHP mail and vice versa, that must have been ISP related.

Another tip, if you use PHP mail, send an e-mail to an e-mail addres @domain-where-forum-runs-on-or-same-domain-where-email-is-sent-to.tld and for Gmail, send it to your own e-mail address and stay logged in with Gmail. I have been doing this many times for a long time with Gmail and if send and receiver are the same e-mail address, I didn't see Gmail block anything, or come up with an error.
If my post in this topic looks ambiguous to you, then I'm with Murphy's law and General Stupidity. In other words, trial and error.

aegersz

If you have moved to another server then Google that error code, I found a few possible reasons.
The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

Advertisement: