News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Won’t post linked images... no matter what size/site

Started by postpar, November 27, 2016, 03:54:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

postpar

On dippy.org, I'm finding that I can see images if they are posted as attachments, but not if they are posted as links. You can see the linked images on the New Post or Reply area, but as soon as you click on Post, they disappear! and are not in the code. This is pretty consistent even using, say, a little icon from the same site.

Any thoughts? GD is showing as 2.1 compatible and integrated; the setup is 2.012. The only add-ons are Ad Management and a bunch of updates. I did have Resize Attached Images but that shouldn't affect anything (and I removed it while testing this).

Am I missing something, some setting, somewhere?

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

postpar

Kindred

There is a slight other issue with your site...  the smf copyright has been significantly altered.   While this is permissible per the license, when the copyright is removed or altered in such a manner, we typically have chosen to not provide support to such sites...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

postpar

What would be acceptable? I don't think any of my readers use WAP2 and I highly doubt they even use RSS. Including the XHTML checker seems off. I didn't try to hide it or de-emphasize it, just make it more relevant without assigning the copyright for images and such as well (I used Xenforo's language).

I wasn't aware I'd lose all support by doing this.

Illori

you just need the first line of the copyright as it is on this forum. the xhtml etc is not part of the copyright statement. the only part of that line that may be modified is to remove the version string.

Kindred

SMF 2.0.12 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines

Like that ....  I understand what ou were trying to do...
On some of my forums, I add a line using the custom copyright mod.

Original media and article content © 2016 ThisSite
Or
Site Contents © 2016 ThisSite

Also, on fan sites, like 40kOnline, I add the following...

Warhammer, 40K & other terms ®, © Games Workshop, Ltd. No infringement of their trademarks is intended.
Слaва
Украинi

postpar

Thanks for the clarification. I did that last night, made sure I had the three different links. Is it acceptable now? It's actually longer and more noticeable than the requirement, I am happy to give credit to SMF. What's good for SMF is good for me!

Kindred

well...   it doesn't quite match the standards...  but for the mean time -- What, exactly are you trying to post on your site in that test thread?

Post it here, in [code] tags, please.
Слaва
Украинi

postpar

Kindred

Quote from: allpar on November 29, 2016, 09:04:40 AM
Testing

with brackets instead of ()

Uploading attachments works.

Well, it works here...  which emilimates one possibility...

And that is the only text that you put in that post?

See, the image in the signature block, which also use some img tags, works...  which indicates an issue with your post, either in submission or display.

The next question is...   if you go to edit that post, is the Img code completely removed?  Can you look at the body column in smf_messages table in your database? Find the messag ID and check the contents... is the Img code in there?

If the Img is no longer even present,
It sounds like you might have something that is preparing your submissions and removing images...

Can you post a URL by itself, not in Img tags?
Слaва
Украинi

postpar

I've put more text in. The image in the signature block does work...

When I go to edit the post or look at source, the img code is removed. I'll check the database, though. That's a good thought.

I did check the full sources/post.php and subs.php code.

postpar

Absolutely no tags in the message source. Whatever is happening, it's wiping them out on posting. I checked the post.php source against the untainted original, as noted earlier.

postpar

I went into the database and added

test [ img ]https://www.allpar.com/icon/H/wagoneer.jpg[ /img ] (I did this manually in the database)

and it does work, so it is stripping the [img] on posting, which suggests a stray admin setting, but I did look at all of them... I think. Or a package manually uploaded sometime in the distant past, but would that not affect Post.php ? Which I checked against source.

Kindred

Actually, I might think that it has to do with your HOST....   I suspect that they added some "security" BS which is stripping the stuff in a POST command...
Слaва
Украинi

postpar

mod_secure, you think? I can try changing hosts, it just seemed a little drastic.

Kindred

it could be mod_security... but that usually just rejected theload completely, not strip our specific content.

I dunno for sure... but it seems to be happening SERVER SIDE...  which means that you should check with your host as to what they may have changed recently
Слaва
Украинi

postpar

Not sure when the problem started.

It isn't mod_secure, I can shut that off myself.

I do have some control so if I know roughly what to look for, it would help.

Otherwise, guess I will have to change hosts - which as you know is not a walk in the park. (Also not a walk through downtown Camden.)

Illori

are you sure you can really disable mod_security? most hosts dont allow that. also would you mind if we closed out your help desk ticket? i dont think you will get better replies then those that you have gotten here already.

postpar

Yes, they let me disable it on a site by site basis. Feel free to close the help desk ticket, I can always start over if moving doesn't help.

Advertisement: