News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Won’t post linked images... no matter what size/site

Started by postpar, November 27, 2016, 03:54:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

postpar

New host, couple of hours burned, and the same problem. If I insert

into the database using bbcode, it works. Therefore it's something that happens while posting.

What other source files should I be checking against originals?

Kindred

something is stripping out the img BBC completely, before it gets posted. I can not imagine what would be doing that in SMF code.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

postpar

Yes. That is what is happening. I wonder if the preference for bbcode is showing as being enabled, when it is not.

Do you know what files are involved in a post?

Kindred

a bunch, actually.

You could always try loading a clean set of files and then re-applying your themes and mods, one at a time.

but as I said, I can not think of anything in SMF that would be causing that behavior
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Shambles

Does the issue occur when using  the wysiwyg editor also?

postpar

nend

If I am understanding correctly, the images show when you preview the post?

The preview function is similar to the sansitization and parsing done when a post is sent to the db. So if your seeing the preview ok, but after posting the tags are removed, the chances are that either a modification changed something somewhere or something is going on with the database.

postpar

Nothing is wrong with the database, so it must be a modification, but I'm not showing any that would be likely to be the problem. Yes, preview does work. Does this narrow down which files I should be looking at>?

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

postpar

Bad Behavior
CheckBeforePosting
RSS Feed Poster
Resize Attached Images (not currently active)
Ad Management
Google Maps
Something that lets people mark topics as solved

I'm going through file by file now...

postpar

Resolved. It was a line in Subs-Post.php of unknown provenance! Finally got my head in gear, downloaded the Sources folder, and used CompareMerge to get file-level, then line-level comparisons.

Thanks for trying, anyway. I appreciate your sticking with it.

PS> Yes, the initial "it's your fault" diagnosis was correct. That said, Post.php and Subs-post.php are the clear places to look. I missed the one line of bad code in there (not something I would have added myself, it's got to be from a package!) until I took it onto my desktop and used a graphical comparison program - a lesson there for anyone with a weird problem. Reinstalling all files and then packages would have worked, too, I guess... but a longer process.

Advertisement: