News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

phpbb 2 smf~DB convert problem

Started by KB, October 30, 2005, 06:39:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KB

Hi There!
First let me say that Im very eager to get away from phpbb due to the security issues.  My forum was recently hacked and I have been looking for something like SMF ever since....looking forward to it!!

Ive installed the latest stable version of smf successfully.
My problem however, came when converting the DB of my phpbb (v2.17..latest version) to smf.

The conversion gets through the first two steps fine, but, I get an error before the third step completes. 
The error basically asks me to enter my DB password again, and although the pw IS correctly entered, I still get the error and the coversion will go no further.

The DB is the same one used by my existing phpbb forum.  I know VERY little about using MyphpAdmin, but did notice that several tables/entries were created in the db with "smf_" prefixes, so, wouldnt that mean it would have to have access to the DB?  Thus, why am I even asked for the PW again, if it apparently has access already?

Oh and the converter Ive used is the phpbb2 to smf available on the smf downloads page...which also states it was tested with phpbb v2.07 (I believe), so, could that be the problem?  Do I need a converter specifically for phpbb v2.17 instead? 
Im sure ive just missed something though ;)
Any suggestions for getting this problem fixed would be greatly appreciated!!
THANKS!!!!!!! :)

KB

A little update to the above.

SMF v1.05 is what I installed.
converter is confirmed as the one specified above.

It appears that the coversion got through more than two steps before the PW was asked for again.
But, I still have an incomplete "merge". 
The forums sections are there, but the memberlist, and recent posts are not...newest posts are from Christmas of last year....I'm sure other things are also "missing" due to PW error, but those are the most noticeable at this time.

THANKS!!!!

Advertisement: