Occasional invalid email addresses at registration ?

Started by aegersz, December 02, 2016, 05:47:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aegersz

I am seeing a few new members registering with unknown email addresses and therefore never get activated.

I assume they are typo errors as my mail server errors indicate no such email recipient.

Any thoughts on how to best handle it ?
The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

br360

There is a mod that makes the user type in their email address twice to confirm the addresses match (like they have to when picking a password). It's not free, but I think it is only a couple of dollars-

http://www.smfsimple.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;download=63

aegersz

The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

aegersz

as an interim measure, i added the following Admin > Security and Moderation > Anti-Spam entries:

an additional Verification Question: we also see many users get their email addresses wrong so please answer "yes" if you have DOUBLE-CHECKED your email address ! Please actually do it because you may never get registered otherwise !!

and ALSO a "dummy" additional Verification Question (no increment in the Number of verification questions user must answer): you may re-enter your email address here if you want but it wont affect your original one and nor will it be tested unless i get some warning from our mail server >

hey, it's worth a try, i figure ?

Illori

Quote from: aegersz on December 09, 2016, 05:53:57 AM
and ALSO a "dummy" additional Verification Question (no increment in the Number of verification questions user must answer): you may re-enter your email address here if you want but it wont affect your original one and nor will it be tested unless i get some warning from our mail server >

hey, it's worth a try, i figure ?

if they are the anti-spam questions, they will fail that one 100% of the time as it requires a correct answer to continue. so that is not a good or valid question.

aegersz

you are right, i will remove the email question that you mentioned.

(why the number of questions then ?) -- thanks !

i tested it and it failed, just as you said it would.

i'd love to see a free mod for this or become a standard feature as it wouldn't be too hard and i reckon that it is really needed.

Illori

http://www.smfsimple.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;download=63 should help what you want, but i think you need to register and pay a small fee to download the mod.

aegersz

yeah thanks, i have been made aware of that and if it happens again then i will do so.

thanks for your help on my Verification stuff.

Kindred

"number of questions" is so that you build a POOL of questions, but only ASK a subset of those.

In my case, I have 20 questions, but only ASK 2 of them when someone registers.

This prevents spambots for cataloguing your questions (which will happen quickly, if you have 3 and ask the same 3 every time)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

aegersz

i see, thanks.

will the mod work exactly like the original SM code, otherwise ?

it's not obvious as how to download and pay for the mod, so i tried to register but then i noticed that they weren't using their own mod ! isn't that a bad sign, possibly ? (i'm sort of joking but it's a bit odd, all the same).

aegersz

I guess that was a silly question.

I don't mind paying and this reminds me again to thank all the good people who selflessly give up their code and time to help us run forums for no cost other than our own labour and the hosting costs.

SMF is a wonderful product and I have learned much about php, SQL and of course, the SMF features and mods.

OK, I'm done.

Advertisement: