News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Getting Started

Started by JohnW_Super, December 02, 2016, 12:22:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnW_Super

I setup a forum, v2.0.12, logged in via the "Admin Login" button, setup myself as a user, and started reading the manual.

It says there is an "Admin Center" and that's where you find all the other stuff. But it doesn't say where that is. It doesn't look like I am an admin, maybe?

Kindred

what "admin login" button?  There is no such button in a standard SMF installation.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

JohnW_Super

I setup the site using my VirtualAvenue management system for my page. It was an option in what they called the "Mojo Marketplace", with lots of other things I could install.
The setup appeared there, with a button "Admin Login". Is there some other way to get in as Admin?

Do I need to get back to that Simple Machines page?

d3vcho

Hello!

We do not recommend using a third party software to install SMF, since they can modify as they want our original files. Your best option will be to upload via FTP our files (download.simplemachines.org) and setup your forum. It's not hard, you can follow this: Installing SMF.

Regards :)
"Greeting Death as an old friend, they departed this life as equals"

JohnW_Super

Okay. So I have the database, I can login as admin and I'm running <mysite>/install.php
I'm not understanding something about the Database Server Settings. If I use either the database user I setup, or my login to my site admin, I get a connection error. I don't have a separate login for mySQL. "localhost" doesn't seem right either, since I'm not local to it.

Kindred

the database user has nothing at all to do with your smf admin account...  not probably with your hosting admin account. you should set up database user...   and localhost is almost always correct, except on godaddy
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

JohnW_Super

That's what's I'm having trouble understanding. If I'm coming in via the internet, but I only give the install my mySQL password, how does it get through the site security? I don't seem to have anything where I'm running PHP from within my site. Maybe I broke something, because now I get

Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

at <myforum>/index.php

Thanks for your help. I've done lots of things with computers locally, but never remotely.

Kindred

the database and php installation of SMF scripts are typically on the same server.

that message means that you have not configured the database connection correctly

And you need more than the db password.
you need a db user, dbuser password, the database name and the db server (typically localhost, unless you are on godaddy)

you need to have created the database and database user with full db access BEFORE running install.php
Слaва
Украинi

Sir Osis of Liver

Localhost does not work on other hosts besides GoDaddy (Hostcentric, iPower, 1and1, just a few I've worked on).

If you can't get it, pm your host access (url/username/password) and I'll have a look.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

JohnW_Super

Quote from: Kindred on December 02, 2016, 10:16:43 PM
the database and php installation of SMF scripts are typically on the same server.

that message means that you have not configured the database connection correctly

And you need more than the db password.
you need a db user, dbuser password, the database name and the db server (typically localhost, unless you are on godaddy)

you need to have created the database and database user with full db access BEFORE running install.php

Edit: **** Just got through ***

Server name is <mysubdomain>.virtualavemysql.com

Earlier message
I created the database, and user with full access using the hxxp:virtualave.net [nonactive] tools. I can see the tables. It even came up. There was just no way to administer it. So I started the install.php, like you said, Step 3: Database settings asks for this:

Server name: localhost
Username: <mySQL database username>
Password: <mySQL database password>
Database name: <mySQL database, that I setup at milepost100 within hxxp:virtualave.net [nonactive]>
Table prefix: oli_, that's what I see in that database I created.

But I don't see how this connects to mySQL without knowing how to connect to hxxp:virtualave.net [nonactive]. I logged into that in another window, but that doesn't seem to matter.

The connection error is:

Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)

JohnW_Super

Edit: **** Now that I understand how to ask the question, I found the answer ****

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Administration_-_I_accidentally_lost_my_admin_account!_What_can_I_do

Once I did that, I refreshed my page and "Admin" showed up as a menu option.

Thanks for all the help. Very much appreciate the community

So, I'm back to my original question. I have a working forum, but since I didn't do the install in the correct order, using the wizard to set up the admin user, I don't have an admin user. From the error I just got, it appears that an admin user is just another user, but something flags that user as an admin, maybe in the MEMBERS table for instance?

Sir Osis of Liver

id_group in smf_members is '1' for admins.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Advertisement: