News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

New host - upload and upgrade of SMF not working right - please help?

Started by tananaBrian, December 04, 2016, 11:16:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tananaBrian

Hi,

Had trouble with 1and1.com hosting, so moved my forum (once again) to my tried and true Total Choice Hosting ...but am having similar symptoms.  It has to be MY problem, not 1and1.com or totalchoicehosting.com.  I need help and am out of ideas

1. I created a public_html/forum folder, FTP'd all my forum files to that location, imported the backed-up database, then ran repair_settings.php as instructed - And things almost work.  I had to reset the forum theme for everyone and that fixed some issues... but there are two left:

- Image attachments are not showing up in the posts (broken image picture), and clicking on the attachment results in a dialog box to download the attachment ....rather than viewing it. 

- When logging in (sometimes but not always) and when test posting (most of the time), a dialog pops up that wants me to download index.php.  It's as though the browser or server or something doesn't know to open index.php and so offers to download it instead.

2. Since I had issues, I thought maybe an upgrade (which purports to set permissions as necessary) might heal things up ...so I downloaded the 2.0.12 upgrade, noting that our forum was at 2.0.11, and followed the upgrade instructions very explicitly ...including trying folder permissions of 755 and file permissions of 644 (same issues result) ...then 775 and 664 (664 gives server errors) ...then 775 and 644 ...then 777 and 644 ...then all files and folders at 755.  I still have the same issues.

3. Tried re-running the upgrade again, following directions exactly, and all went well ...but no permissions were adjusted and the same symptoms exist.

I'm going to open a support ticket that lists the requirements (~/forum/readme.html) and ask them to double check all ...but this is at TotalChoice which is where it all worked fine before (a month ago - long story).  I wish I wrote down all the permissions that had been set when things were working..... sigh.

Anyone have any additional ideas?  I'm a fish out of water on this one....

See the forum at http://www.glacierboats.net/forum...

Thanks in advance,
Brian

Kindred

Upgrade does not "fix" any file permissions, and your issues do nit seem chmod related ....   the image issue seems that maybe the URL or path to attachments is incorrect.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

tananaBrian

Quote from: Kindred on December 04, 2016, 03:59:31 PM
Upgrade does not "fix" any file permissions, and your issues do nit seem chmod related ....   the image issue seems that maybe the URL or path to attachments is incorrect.

Combination of file permissions and PHP settings.  Good folks at Total Choice Hosting (Antonyo in particular) figured it out.  For whatever reason however, the files in the attachments folder were corrupt and need re-uploading.  I got 2/3rds of them re-uploaded and they are working ...but lost my connection and need a redo.  Should be all working within 30... we have a LOT of picture attachments...

Brian

tananaBrian

... Funny that you should mention that.  I just recalled (after having an issue several years ago ...and had forgotten) that those attachments do NOT have file extensions, and FileZilla treats files with no extensions as ASCII by default.  I changed my FileZilla settings to 'BINARY' for the default mode, and unchecked the 'Treat files without extensions as ASCII' checkbox... and voila!  My attachments now work!  Sheesh... I'm a little thick now and then...

bd

tananaBrian

My attachments and images work now ...always a good thing ...but I still get the strange dialog popping up after posting or modifying a post, that wants me to save index.php.  Not sure whussup yet, but will look into the code and try to figure out which index.php is involved.  When the browser asks you to download a file, it's usually because the file type is unrecognized (or the file is corrupt) and the browser doesn't know what to do with the file... I'm assuming that one or more files in my installation (index.php or others) is corrupt ...probably from the same Binary v. Ascii issue during my FTP'ing... more later.  If someone here knows more about  this, then I'm all ears... if not, well, I'll keep pounding tonight and will update once fixed.

Brian

Advertisement: