News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

How to Play mp3 Attachment?

Started by aj113, December 04, 2016, 01:02:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aj113

I want to allow users not only to upload mp3 files to my music forum, but to play them directly from the post.

So:

1. Users can attach a file to a post.
2. Other users can play that file immediately from within the post itself, without having to leave the forum.

Is this possible? What's the best way of doing it?

Kindred

no, not really....

one of the gallery mods MIGHT allow that, but it's questionable, at best
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

aj113

Well that's a bit of a letdown. Hundreds of forums have this capability, I'm surprised it's not a stanard feature, let alone a mod.

Kindred

really? I am a user on hundreds of forums and don't think I have ever actually seen it, myself...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

aj113

Are any of them music forums?

I guess this discussion is moot anyway. If the feature doesn't exist it doesn't exist.

Antes

We can move this topic to mod request board, so maybe an author come forward and offer a solution.

aj113

Colin

Definitely possible. I think this would be a useful mod.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

aj113

Excellent! Do I need to place a request?

Colin

Quote from: aj113 on December 06, 2016, 03:19:55 PM
Excellent! Do I need to place a request?

Your post here is just that. Hopefully we have a taker who wants to create it. :). Thanks for the idea!
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

aj113

You're welcome, I mean, if it needs remuneration I'll certainly consider it.

dougiefresh

Looking for something like this?  I've got most of the new mod written, but I've still got to add the mime detection stuff to it yet....  It'll work on any HTML5 browser....

Colin

Colin

aj113

Quote from: dougiefresh on December 06, 2016, 09:42:06 PM
Looking for something like this?  I've got most of the new mod written, but I've still got to add the mime detection stuff to it yet....  It'll work on any HTML5 browser....
That is exactly what I am looking for!

JeanpaulFX

HTML5 supports playing audio/video content by default.  Just use <audio> tag. but it supports only mp3, wav or ogg format.

aj113

As explained earlier, the requirement is for an attached file to be played within the post to which it is attached.

dougiefresh

Attached is a screenshot of the mod in action.  Here is the mod: Play Media Attachments

If you want to donate/pay for the mod, then please donate to donate@xptsp.com using Paypal.  Thanks!

aj113

Thank you. The download link is not working for me.

Also, 'link to mod' goes to:

An Error Has Occurred!
Sorry but no mod was found

Shambles

The mod is there - it's just awaiting approval.

dougiefresh

Quote from: aj113 on December 08, 2016, 03:03:24 AM
Thank you. The download link is not working for me.
Working on this issue....  It should work now.

Yeah, I wish I could just submit a new mod and it be visible to all in the Customization Area immediately.....  The Customization Area doesn't work like that, though.  Putting it on my website (or attaching it) is the only way to "get around" that issue...

Advertisement: