Some Post-Migration Issues After new host.

Started by CrimDa, December 04, 2016, 04:23:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrimDa

Hey!

I'm having some errors occur after transferring the site to a new host.

1.) The 'save as draft' option when users are opposing doesn't appear to have text in the button, so it looks like a tiny button that doesn't function. On my MySQL error log, it's recording it as an 'undefined index: drafts' error.

2.) Users are unable to reset their passwords. Of course this means everyone decides to suddenly need a password reset... lol.  If I go through to the path to reset my password, it says that I'm missing the email_template. Is there a file somewhere I can DL to get this to work...?

Illori

sounds like one or more of your language files are missing. http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/How_to_upload_a_fresh_set_of_files would be the best way to make sure all files are in place, then you can install your mods again.

CrimDa

I'm... a little hesitant to do this. I was having lots of problems migrating the forum to a new host and did install a fresh version of simple Machine prior to what I have set up now, but many images were broken/missing/just generated a load of errors which over-limited my SQL database.

By fresh install I mean downloading Simple Machine from this site, uploading it to the desired directory, then connecting the Database using the tool.

As of now the forum is a direct download of all the old files from the old host, then they're uploaded to the new host with the Database linked. I was hoping I could potentially pick and choose some files and upload them if they're missing... if that's possible. I don't want to crash the site... again..Lol.

Would upgrading to a new version also potentially solve this? I know the version we're using is one that's not the most recent.

Kindred

you can't just load the files from the old site...   nor can you just load a clean set of files and connect to the old database (if the site moved)

You MUST run repair_settings.php --  probably twice, after a move like you describe.
once to connect to the new database and once after that to correct the paths and urls in the new database to match the new host (that would have been the cause of your "broken images")
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

CrimDa

A clean install was definitely my first instinct. Uploading all the files from the old host was basically a last ditch effort to get it all to work. The broken stuff was after running the tool on a clean install. Granted, I only ran it once since I didn't know running it twice was a thing.

In these cases, I didn't connect to the old database. I copied the data to a new Mysql database on the new host and linked it all to that database.

So my general attempts were:
1.) clean SM install + new Mysql + using the tool once. This resulted in many broken things.
2.) copying files from old site via FTP + new Mysql Database + using the tool once. This seemed to have better results. There are just a couple issues with the site functioning overall.

Kindred

in both cases, you need to use the repair tool twice.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

CrimDa

Mmm... I ran the tool twice on the forum as it stands now, went through the password request, and it's still saying that the email_template doesn't exist. I might have to suck it up and go with a fresh install and linking stuff just to get it resolved. For some reason it worked in the sandbox I tried today, even though it hadn't worked previously.

Illori

Quote from: Illori on December 04, 2016, 04:33:15 PM
sounds like one or more of your language files are missing. http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/How_to_upload_a_fresh_set_of_files would be the best way to make sure all files are in place, then you can install your mods again.

i told you what to do already. if you follow those directions you will resolve the issue.

also you should NOT do a fresh install to fix this, you need to upload fresh files to fix the issue.

Advertisement: