News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Want 2mods

Started by SkzlN, December 05, 2016, 03:17:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkzlN

Hey! if it's possible and if it's doesn't exist, i want two mod, a mod who can  verify if the email used by the guest who want to register is real or just a fake, and the other one, that if a body register two accounts at the same pc got banned forever automatically, if anyone can, reply :)

radu81

1. Do you use confirmation by email when a new member register to your forum? If so this will avoid users registering with a fake email. By fake email do you also mean temporary email? If so you can ban those domains or use this http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1493
2.how you control if a user is already registered? By ip? If so this is not an accurate method
sorry for my bad english

Kindred

Also what happens if a brother and sister both register on your site form their parent's computer?   You could, potentially have 4 real users from the same computer in that case...

So, what you are asking for in your second request is just a poor idea to begin with.

email verification is a standard feature, as radu already pointed out - but even that is mostly pointless if you are using it as a way to try to control spammers...  there are much better ways
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

SkzlN

ty Kindred, but on my forum tules, i already told 2members per ip! and i'm also bored of players who register also with a spamm, so maybe i can change this rules to be 4members per computer max :)

if anyone can, feel free to reply

SkzlN

Quote from: radu81 on December 05, 2016, 03:57:54 PM
1. Do you use confirmation by email when a new member register to your forum? If so this will avoid users registering with a fake email. By fake email do you also mean temporary email? If so you can ban those domains or use this http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1493
2.how you control if a user is already registered? By ip? If so this is not an accurate method

for the one, i want verification automatically if the email is real before activate!
the two, i want a member per computer :)

kawajax

Quote from: OutBreak on December 06, 2016, 02:03:49 AM
for the one, i want verification automatically if the email is real before activate!

Use this feature:
No one is in charge of your happiness, except you.
http://shareitservice.com/

Kindred

other than the "email activation" (in other words, the system sends an email to that address with a link that must be clicked) there is no way to validate that an email is "real" in any automatic sense.

I mean, I can create a domain called "blargit.top" and use emails from there....   it looks "fake" but could be real...

as for IPs... remember, many ISPs use dynamic assignments. Which means that a user's IP may change over time, even form the same computer. Also, they could be accessing from a mobile device or someone else's house...   and that also means that someone else could eventually "inherit" the old IP. Finally, there are proxy servers...   

This is why banning by IP address is basically useless these days - and pretty much any identification solely on IP is a waste of time.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

SkzlN

you got a point, well, so i'il add waiting approval email :)

Advertisement: