News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Newsletter only sends 1 to 2 messages per page load

Started by SlyBaldGuy, December 05, 2016, 04:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SlyBaldGuy

I'm trying to send a PM to all the members and I'm doing it by group. A smaller group has about 700 people and when I send the PM the page loads and it takes about 5 page loads to get to 1% sent. I've tried increasing the mail settings to 10,000 per page load and it still only send about 1-2 per page load. How can I increase the amount that it sends?  At this rate I'll never get the timely message to the 16,000+ members. I'm currently on 2.0.11.

Illori

the initial progress bar you are getting is going through all the users on your forum and seeing which need to receive the message, after that they should all get the PM. the email for that PM may take longer though.

this delay in finding all the users is in part to keep the load on the server in check.

SlyBaldGuy

Ok. The problem I'm now having is that it's timing out around 15 to 20%, so they aren't all receiving it. Is there a way to send to all or groups without having to have the page load over and over?

Kindred

no....  you can increase the number per page load (a little) int he admin settings... but anything too much will kill the server
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

SlyBaldGuy

Quote from: Kindred on December 05, 2016, 07:15:32 PM
no....  you can increase the number per page load (a little) int he admin settings... but anything too much will kill the server

Where can I do that to give it a try?

SlyBaldGuy

It seems odd that it would take several hours to send a small amount of messages.

SlyBaldGuy

For example, I just sent a message to 51 people to do a test and we're 10 minutes in and I'm only 9% done.

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Illori

Quote from: SlyBaldGuy on December 05, 2016, 08:26:37 PM
Quote from: Kindred on December 05, 2016, 07:59:29 PM
http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/SMF2.0:Mail

So, setting the number to send per page will help with Private Messages?

nope as i said above it is looking through all the members to select who needs to get the message. changing that setting will only change how fast an email is received if you have the mail queue enabled.

SlyBaldGuy

In short, there's no way to speed up the sending of PMs?  I didn't have this problem on 1.X as it would send many more per page load.

Illori

i dont recall this being an issue reported, it may have to do with your host and the resources available to process the request.

Advertisement: