News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Can I make Boards visible, but not usable?

Started by Mynamehere, December 06, 2016, 07:00:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mynamehere

Okay, these are the times when I realize my English is failing me, but I hope I can manage.

I was wondering if it was possible for SMF to have categories and boards which are actually VISIBLE, but not usable to people not in specific groups.

For instance, say I make a forum for candy-afficianado's with the following boards:

General Discussion
Suger-free Candy
Chocolate based candy
Animal shaped candy

Is it possible to create settings in such a way that Suger Free/Chocolate Based/Animal Shaped are VISIBLE to all users (registered), but those not in the groups SF/CB/AS cannot actually see the CONTENTS?

What I wish to achieve, is that all users can see the several boards, for which they can ask access rights, which can then be granted (or not, of course) by the moderators for the specific boards.

Kindred

are you actually using 2.1 beta?

either way....   the answer is "not in the core product" what you are asking for is do-able with a mod, but is not recommended.  Many people, like me, will leave a site that does this and never return - and SMF core follows that same design -- you can't see the option if you can't do the option...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Antes

What you are looking for is http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=256206.0 but the modification no longer maintained and removed from the site, you might convince author to put it back (or give the latest possible version to you).

@rjen

This MOD works exactly like that for SMF version 2.0.x (which I assume you are using)

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=610

I use it here: http://www.fjr-club.nl/index.php?action=forum
The boards in Grey font are view-only...
Running SMF 2.1 with latest TinyPortal at www.fjr-club.nl

Mynamehere

Quote from: Kindred on December 06, 2016, 07:04:05 AM
are you actually using 2.1 beta?

either way....   the answer is "not in the core product" what you are asking for is do-able with a mod, but is not recommended.  Many people, like me, will leave a site that does this and never return - and SMF core follows that same design -- you can't see the option if you can't do the option...

I am not using anything on this particular project yet, I am trying to figure out which system works best.

Illori

if you want to use SMF in production you should stick to SMF 2.0. SMF 2.1 is not ready for production use at this time.

SkzlN

Forum » Administration Center » Boards » Modify Boards

on it, you will find : Permission Profile:
Which permission set the board should use.

on it, choose the option : Read Only, and so, only the admin rank will can post there :)

Kindred

That is not what he's asking for...

he wants to make the post titles visible, but the post itself will not be readable until the user registers/logs-in

that is not possible with a default core installation - in SMF, you can only see things if you can complete the action.

and - Mynamehere - the reason I asked about the version is that you originally posted in the 2.1 (beta) support board. I moved your post to 2.0, since that is the currently supported stable release.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Mynamehere

Quote from: Kindred on December 07, 2016, 12:24:47 PM
That is not what he's asking for...

he wants to make the post titles visible, but the post itself will not be readable until the user registers/logs-in

that is not possible with a default core installation - in SMF, you can only see things if you can complete the action.

Actually, I'd be happy with the boards being visible, so people know there is stuff they can get access to.

and - Mynamehere - the reason I asked about the version is that you originally posted in the 2.1 (beta) support board. I moved your post to 2.0, since that is the currently supported stable release.

whoopsie :)

d3vcho

Hello!

In that case you can make the board just Read only and edit its permissions depending on the membergroup.
To make a board read only, navigate to Admin > Forum > Boards and Categories. Once there, click on "Modify" button next to the board you want to edit. Then, select in "Permission Profile" Read Only and save the changes.

You'll get back to the board list. Click on "Permissions" button next to the same board, choose a membergroup, click "Modify" and edit the permissions as you like.

Regards :)
"Greeting Death as an old friend, they departed this life as equals"

Advertisement: