News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Security mod for 2.0.12?

Started by LemnisCate8, December 06, 2016, 10:54:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LemnisCate8

Hi, a couple of days ago I was told that I should be installing a security mod on my forum. I did a search for this and am not sure if I saw all I could have if I'd have known which search terms to use. Anyway, I didn't find anything. So is there some security patch or mod I should be using in 2.0.12?

I mean to say, that I saw there's a patch for the earlier version, but I didn't see any reference to there being a patch for this one.

Dzonny

Hello there.

Can you please specify a bit more, in what terms do you mean the "security mod"?
2.0.12 is the latest stable version, so there's no "security patch" for it yet, it will be released with a 2.0.13 patch.

We don't offer official security mods, if you're thinking about forum security in general though, however there's a 3rd party mods, like forum firewall, login security etc, but I'm not sure if you're looking for such thing. SMF itself is secure enough so you don't actually need additions. 

LemnisCate8

Quote from: Dzonny on December 07, 2016, 09:03:14 AM
Hello there.

Can you please specify a bit more, in what terms do you mean the "security mod"?
2.0.12 is the latest stable version, so there's no "security patch" for it yet, it will be released with a 2.0.13 patch.

We don't offer official security mods, if you're thinking about forum security in general though, however there's a 3rd party mods, like forum firewall, login security etc, but I'm not sure if you're looking for such thing. SMF itself is secure enough so you don't actually need additions.

I don't know what he was specifically saying I needed. I thought he said I needed a security mod. But what you've said clearly illustrates that he was trying to sell me something I don't need. That's what I wanted to know. I thought I'd already read that the 2.0.12 version was stable.  Thanks for clarifying.

Antes

richardwbb

This is a way to secure the MySQL connection;

'The database user requires the following permissions: SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE, CREATE, ALTER, DROP,
and INDEX. en CREATE TEMPORARY TABLES'

source; http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Installing

And reCAPTCHA is helpful if you notice that there are users registering to your forum to leave spam messages.

On the other hand I'm not aware of security problems in a SMF install. Are there any?
If my post in this topic looks ambiguous to you, then I'm with Murphy's law and General Stupidity. In other words, trial and error.

Advertisement: