News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Prohibit registration to SMF forum based on IP?

Started by bh2win, December 07, 2016, 08:21:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bh2win

Hello,

I am trying to make a forum/community available to only certain cities/counties in my state based on geo-location or IP. I was wondering if SMF has the ability to allow registration for individuals within a certain area off the criteria mentioned above.

Does anyone know of a plug-in that might work or if SMF is capable of this alone? Do I need to get a developer to help me with this? Please let me know.

The reason for all of this is that I want a trading site for a region of my state so individuals can trade with each other there instead of having to drive across the entire state. Geo niche trading, kind of like Craigslist.

Illori

so you want no one in your area to be able to register on your forum if they use a proxy for privacy or other reasons?

there is really no good way to limit people by location. what if someone is going on vacation to your area and wants to register before they arrive?

make registration by admin approval and contact each member and ask them where they live... they can always lie.

bh2win

You have a valid point regarding the Cons of this request. What is ideal is to make things automated, my area services 2.3 million people, 1% of that is 23,000 individuals. I would rather not have to service each request and was hoping to find a way to prevent people from outside the region from accessing the site.

I'll have to chew on it a bit more, but I appreciate your insight.

Kindred

add a "question" that asks what region they are from. Only members who input the correct answer and complete registration...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

bh2win

The verification question should work very well. Thank you again, it is a fine substitute.

byproduct

what Kindred suggest is probally the most realistic

if you have CSF, there is a geo service that can do SOME of this
it'd be pretty taxing
and the accuracy would be questionable because of the way ISP's re-house and relay

you might could find away to do it by zipcode, and require the zipcode on registration

Advertisement: