News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

SMF once is running quickly and after a while very slowly

Started by kejesdi, December 07, 2016, 05:00:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kejesdi

From about two weeks, it happens that my forum is slowed. Sometimes for an hour or a few hours they work perfectly, and later, each refresh (send a message, go to another page) can take up to a minute. Contact with host provider so far brought no solution (suggest a problem with the forum code). Can anyone help with this?

Shambles

My standard response to this, is:

Admin > Configuration > Server Settings > General > Disable hostname lookups

Give that a try first, then report back after a while.

Colin

Are there certain pages that are specifically slow? How may concurrent users are on the forum?

What are the specs of the server/hosting plan? Who is your host?
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

byproduct

even shared hosting should be someplace to be able to get some idea from the about the resource usage.

there are many things that could be causing it
do like shambles suggested

and look at he visitor log
see if your being hammered by unfavorable bots
if so, consider banning them *FROM OUTSIDE* the forum (htaccess/ip deny)

kejesdi

Hey!
Thank you for your suggestions. First, I changed the option suggested by Shambles. Unfortunately, it did not help. Forum still very slowed from time to time. However, I received another suggestion on Polish forum Simple Machines, to uninstall the update 2.0.12. Supposedly, it contains errors and may cause problems such as these. After uninstalling everything works perfect!. Today, the whole day, forum not slowed down even once. I hope that so will be :)

byproduct

Quote from: kejesdi on December 08, 2016, 04:58:30 PM
However, I received another suggestion on Polish forum Simple Machines, to uninstall the update 2.0.12. Supposedly, it contains errors and may cause problems such as these.

would you please share that information.

I'd like to know about such things, before I get to far into 2.0.12 setup

shawnb61

I'm aware of one issue with 2.0.12, described here:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=548902.msg3892948#msg3892948

It will affect you if you use certain memory caching features.  Main symptom reported is top menus 'disappear'.   

I hadn't heard of it affecting performance... 
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Kindred

there are no issues that I am aware of regarding performance in 2.0.12

So, I would like to see evidence of this "Supposedly, it contains errors and may cause problems such as these. "

Also, be aware that THIS SITE it the only official SMF support site... anyone else may claim, but they have no standing and no official presence. We have Polish support boards here... so any other site claiming to be the "SMF polish support site" is flat out telling lies.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Woraphat

Quote from: kejesdi on December 07, 2016, 05:00:52 PM
From about two weeks, it happens that my forum is slowed. Sometimes for an hour or a few hours they work perfectly, and later, each refresh (send a message, go to another page) can take up to a minute. Contact with host provider so far brought no solution (suggest a problem with the forum code). Can anyone help with this?

I have learned that when I experience loading problems with my forums, it is best to check with a few other users and see if they are having the same troubles.  Nearly always, it turns out that the problem is being caused by my browser, my computer or my Internet provider.  I have also experienced slow loads based on the distance I am from my hosting company.  My hosting company is many thousands of miles from where I am located and folks in the same country as my hosting company are getting instant page loads at times when I am experiencing really slow page loads.  This can go on for hours or days and then the problem goes away for a while.

ziycon

How many topics/posts/members do you have on your forum?

kejesdi

Quote from: byproduct on December 08, 2016, 05:11:17 PM
Quote from: kejesdi on December 08, 2016, 04:58:30 PM
However, I received another suggestion on Polish forum Simple Machines, to uninstall the update 2.0.12. Supposedly, it contains errors and may cause problems such as these.

would you please share that information.

Ofcourse. Please take a look here:
hxxp:www.smf.pl/index.php/topic,12559.msg62709.html#msg62709 [nonactive]

Quote from: Kindred on December 08, 2016, 09:44:15 PM
Also, be aware that THIS SITE it the only official SMF support site... anyone else may claim, but they have no standing and no official presence. We have Polish support boards here... so any other site claiming to be the "SMF polish support site" is flat out telling lies.

Information about problems with the cache after installing the patch 2.0.12 has been given in this (official) forum. It is on the basis of this information, i received proposal of solutions of my problem. Please read this:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=548944.msg3893167#msg3893167

kejesdi

I would add that in the case of my error (slow action), the problem was reported by many users from different cities. Everyone had the same symptoms. Today has passed second day from uninstalling the upgrade 2.0.12 and all users report that the problem has been resolved. I would add that the forum is small (up to 20 users simultaneously logged)

Kindred

that is regarding issues with the cache causing a complete breakage...  that is not regarding "slowness"
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

kejesdi

Yes. I just wanted to say that something is wrong with this upgrade.

I'm not a programmer and do not know much about it. I only know that uninstall this upgrade immediately solved a problem which I described earlier. Maybe this information will be useful for someone else.

Kindred

Yes we know what is wrong with the release it has nothing to do with anything that would slow your phone down
Слaва
Украинi

kejesdi

Kindred I'm sure you're right.
However, I can not explain why it helped.

For two weeks I tried different options and nothing helped. I called and wrote several messages to my hosting company (WEBD.pl). They checked everything and they informed me, that server works properly and it is the fault of the forum. Someone suggested to uninstall an update 2.0.12 and it immediately helped. I do not know why. Maybe it was incompatible with some additional packages? Version of PHP? I don't know (I am a beginner user).

Kindred

well - do realize that by removing the 2.0.12 upgrade, you have also removed several security patches that were part of it.

Turning off the cache solves the issue that you linked to (but which had nothing to do with slow sites... and we have not received any credible, reproducible evidence that the 2.0.12 update results in site slowdowns --- so, whoever told you to uninstall the update was blowing smoke..
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: