Migrating to another hosting, problem with special characters

Started by dsanchez, December 07, 2016, 05:58:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsanchez

current forum is UTF-8
target database in new hosting is configured for UTF-8

I make a backup through phpmyadmin (gzip), choose as "Character set of the file:" UTF-8, then import the uncompressed SQL file to the new database through command line. All tables are imported but the TOPICS containing non-latin characters are blank. All topics or posts with latin characters are fine.

Can you advise how can I ensure I seamlessly migration from databases?

thanks!

ps. I am unable to make a backup through the Admin function from SMF, it saves an empty file.

Kindred

Did you also move all of your FILES to the new host, and the run repair_settings.php?

Or did you do the incorrect method and install a brand new forum and the. Attempt to import the database into the forum?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

dsanchez

1) I installed a brand new forum (files)
2) I migrated the folders/files containing data from my previous forums (i.e. attachments, themes and Settings.php)
3) I imported the database as explained above
4) Repairs_settings was ran

Illori

Sir Osis of Liver

Look in Settings.php in new install, it must contain -

$db_character_set = 'utf8'

If it's not there, add it.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

dsanchez

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on December 07, 2016, 09:08:00 PM
Look in Settings.php in new install, it must contain -

$db_character_set = 'utf8'

If it's not there, add it.

thanks, this solved the issue!

Kindred

which is  why we told you to use your ORIGINAL files and not the ones from a clean installation
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

dsanchez

Quote from: Kindred on December 08, 2016, 07:23:45 AM
which is  why we told you to use your ORIGINAL files and not the ones from a clean installation

;)

Advertisement: