News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Do sitemaps still relevant to google?

Started by Pyrhel, December 21, 2016, 06:32:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pyrhel

I have a sitemap generator script, attached to my forum and the forum is pretty well indexed and usually in the first 3 Google search results about the topics in it (it's 5 years old). Using the sitemap, more than 6300 URLs are submitted and 6000+ are indexed, according to G. webmaster tools.

I'm wondering if there is any point to keep the sitemap and does it help for the SEO anymore? What do you think?

bendigital

For a large website with many URLs inside, yes sitemap does help. Regarding SEO, as far as I know, it doesn't have direct impact in improving ranking, but it helps Google spider crawls and index your content faster after you update it, which might help boos your ranking in the end.
All of the biggest technological inventions created by man – the airplane, the automobile, the computer – says little about his intelligence, but speaks volumes about his laziness. – Mark Kennedy

fazeMark

If your website has many posts or pages yes, sitemaps will help google index all of them. You shouldn't forget to add them on your Webmaster Tools.

ARG01

Google ranks a website as a domain, and by page content. A sitemap makes it easier for Google, and other Search Engines to index your information. Keeping your sitemap is a good idea but there are a few things to consider.

1. Search Engines prefer sitemaps in XML format. If your current "sitemap generator script" does not produce a sitemap in XML, find one that does. Most do so this may not be an issue.
2. Make sure that your code is clean and error free. Code inaccuracies may not always noticeably affect the way your site functions, but even minor errors may hamper the way Search Engines index your site.
3. Be sure to check regularly for dead (broken) links. Both internal and external broken and/or outdated links can stop Search Engines in their tracks, sort of confusing them into believing something exists, when it actually doesn't. Broken links may also get you on the Google 'naughty list', and in some cases cause visitors to be directed to a security warning page. You may become aware of this only if a visitor takes the time to inform you.

So yes, keep your sitemap. But just make sure that it is doing it's intended job, rather than harming your website by scaring off or confusing Search Engines.   
No, I will not offer free downloads to Premium DzinerStuido themes. Please stop asking.

Advertisement: