Managing large attachment folder

Started by Goad, January 10, 2017, 11:14:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goad

Been running a pretty active SMF forum for just over 10 years now. I am moving it to a new server (not the first time I've done this) and my attachment folder is 11g with just over 140,000 files in it.

This obviously creates a huge headache with inodes.....

Any of you who are running big sites have any insights on how to manage this?

engrz

you can take help from your new host company, they will help you to move your entire site to the new server. try to ask them.

a10

Hello, also evaluate splitting attachments into many folders. Makes it all more easy to handle, and some hosters have some restrictions regarding amount of files in one folder.

Did a split of my original single folder, went very well. Now, at around 7500 entries in the active folder am creating a new one and setting that active. There was a discussion here not that long ago about a (successful) split of a huge attachment folder.
2.0.19, php 8.0.23, MariaDB 10.5.15. Mods: Contact Page, Like Posts, Responsive Curve, Search Focus Dropdown, Add Join Date to Post.

Bob Perry of Web Presence Consulting

Quote from: engrz on January 11, 2017, 05:04:17 AM
you can take help from your new host company, they will help you to move your entire site to the new server. try to ask them.

I recommend the same thing as this fellow... the hosting companies will do the grunt work for you, but they can let errors slip in too, be sure to get clear and logical explanations of what they will do for you and do a lot of testing yourself after they finish to be sure everything is functioning as expected...

Best Regards,
Bob Perry

"The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it." Elbert Hubbard

Advertisement: