News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

2.0.13 install mod fails to upgrade anything

Started by dcltdw, January 11, 2017, 11:24:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dcltdw

First, I ran into the "You cannot download or install new packages because the Packages directory or one of the files in it are not writable!" problem.

Fix:
mkdir Packages/temp
chmod 777 Packages/temp
chmod 777 Sources/*

Running the patch installer, it claims to have succeeded.  However, my forum footer still says 2.0.12.

Checking the top of smf/index.php, I can see it's still 2.0.12.
Calendar is 2.0.11
ManagePosts.php is 2.0
Sources/Display is 2.0.11
Sources/Subscriptions-PayPal.php is 2.0.10
Sources/Themes.php is 2.0.12
Sources/LogInOut.php is 2.0.12
Sources/Reminder.php is 2.0.4
Sources/PackageGet.php is 2.0.9
Sources/Subs-Post.php is 2.0.12
Sources/Subs.php is 2.0.12

---

I tried re-running the installer; I get

This package is already installed, and no upgrade was found!

You should uninstall the old version first to avoid problems, or ask the author to create an upgrade from your old version.

Please remember to always make regular backups of your sources and database before installing mods, especially beta versions.

from URL http://evensonglarp.org/smf/index.php?action=admin;area=packages;sa=install;package=smf_patch_2.0.13.zip

---

Checking the error log, I see:
http://evensonglarp.org/smf/index.php?action=admin;area=packages;sa=install;package=smf_patch_2.0.13.zip
2: fopen(/usr/www/users/dcltdw/evensonglarp.org/smf/index.php): failed to open stream: Permission denied
File: /usr/www/users/dcltdw/evensonglarp.org/smf/Sources/Subs-Package.php

Sources/Subs-Package.php is currently 0777.

---

Any help would be appreciated.  If there's a way to run the upgrade from the command line rather than via the web interface, please let me know and I'll try that, too.

dcltdw

Okay, that's very weird.

I just turned off maintenance mode, and now everything is upgraded?

/giphy I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here!

Kindred

actually, the failure to update actual files is usually due to a host configuration regarding chown (the user that owns the actual files)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

dcltdw

I thought that might be the case, but they're owned by me and I'm using my credentials to login via the ftp prompt.  Urrr, I'm assuming that the ftp client then gets the same permissions as me; I'm not actually sure of that or if some OSes restrict that.  I'm on a server using FreeBSD 8.2-STABLE.

Kindred

well, "owned by you" is somewhat confusing at times...

for example... if php is runing as a service, under some circumstances, php is running as "nobody", which means that any files uploaded through php will be owned by "nobody" and attempts to change files by script will be actions performed by "nobody"

this is different from ftp or your cpanel user...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: