Select All when Installing Mods

Started by MaryLouW, January 11, 2017, 05:32:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaryLouW

If this is in the wrong area, please move it.

On several of the mods that I've installed lately, there are check boxes where you can select the themes in which you wish to install the mod. I have 8 different themes so I have to do down checking each box.  It would be nice  a "select all" checkbox could be included.  I realize it doesn't take a whole lot of work to check 8 more boxes but it would be ever so convenient to select just one.   :)

Steve

DO NOT pm me for support!

Arantor

Better idea: encouraging mod authors to not use theme edits in the first place... it's certainly easier to do things in 2.1 without theme edits.

(This won't be added to any of the 2.0 line in any case)

Steve

Quote from: Arantor on January 12, 2017, 10:06:37 AM... it's certainly easier to do things in 2.1 without theme edits.

I like the sound of that. :)
DO NOT pm me for support!

MaryLouW

It was just a thought.  :)  I can click boxes.  This is off topic but...  with  2.1, will we be able to install that like we do all the other upgrades or do we have to start over?

d3vcho

Quote from: MaryLouW on January 12, 2017, 02:57:10 PM
It was just a thought.  :)  I can click boxes.  This is off topic but...  with  2.1, will we be able to install that like we do all the other upgrades or do we have to start over?

It'll be like a normal upgrade.

BTW, your suggestion is good and I support it, but I don't know if that is going to be implemented for SMF 2.0... And as Arantor said, there are a lot of hooks in 2.1 that will decrease the need of doing theme edits with mods.

Regards :)
"Greeting Death as an old friend, they departed this life as equals"

Arantor

No, 2.1 will not be an upgrade like 2.0.12 to 2.0.13 was, you will need to start over especially because themes will need to be redone for 2.1 to cope with all the responsive changes. It took me a long time to port one of DzinerStudios' themes to 2.1 and I still have to do work on it occasionally with the 2.1 changes.

But it's been possible for some time to limit theme edits and you'd be surprised what can be done without theme edits depending on how far you're willing to go.

It's also possible to do truly insane things like create hooks where none exist and hang things on them - without file edits, but that's really getting into the realms of the behaviour that most people shouldn't attempt without truly good reason.

Also to clarify, 2.0.x is only receiving security/maintenance patches, this is not a maintenance improvement.

Kindred

well... no.

It will be a full upgrade.

That means that themes for 2.0.x will not work (and should be uninstalled before upgrading)
Mods for 2.0.x may not work (probably not, depending on how many use edits instead of hooks)

and all mods WILL be removed when you upgrade, because you will be replacing the forum core files.

This almost certainly will NOT be implemented for 2.0.x
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

MaryLouW

Thanks for the information!  My themes are all for the various holidays and if I lose them, that's okay.  Can live with it.  I was just concerned about having to start over from scratch so am happy to hear that it will be an upgrade.  If I lose all my mods, I can live with that too.  I am all for progress.   

I was concerned that I would lose all our posts, etc. which would happen if it was installed as a brand new product but since it will be an update, that's great!  Sometimes you have to give up old stuff if you want to enjoy the new! 

landyvlad

Quote from: MaryLouW on January 12, 2017, 03:28:35 PM
I was concerned that I would lose all our posts, etc. which would happen if it was installed as a brand new product but since it will be an update, that's great!  Sometimes you have to give up old stuff if you want to enjoy the new!

OK so not being an expert someone will pop in and correct me if I'm wrong but to my understanding that won't happen.

1. Backup your 2.0.x (ideally 2.0.13) database
2. Clean install SMF2.1
3. Import the database. Posts retained.
Done, more or less.

(Presumably images etc will need to be moved across manually as well)
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

Arantor

No, you can't just import it like that, the schema has changed and the upgrader does a LOT of work on the database.

@rjen

And you would lose all avatars and attachments.   >:(

The procedure is clearly documented here: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=530252.0
Let's not confuse anyone any more...

Running SMF 2.1 with latest TinyPortal at www.fjr-club.nl

Advertisement: