How to detect duplicate accounts?

Started by mnn2, January 11, 2017, 09:47:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mnn2

Hi everyone,

I have one question about detecting duplicate accounts. Some troll accounts.

I mean one real person registered many accounts using web proxies and start posting troll posts and causing trouble in my forum.

These troll account make any polls in my forum meaningless. Also causing any member reviews meaningless too.

Any suggestion to combat these trolls are appreciated.

Kindred

there really is not any good way to deal with these sorts, except manually handling each account
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

mnn2

I just think if the SMF software can put some cookie into login/logout process, even the troll member using proxies, we probably can detect the troll.

Maybe using cookie storing a list of recent login member names in the same browser. This might help establishing the relationship between these accounts, a first red flag before real troll posts coming from these account.

Kindred

Aside from generating an unnecessary cookie, how would that help?
If the user is smart enough to use proxies, then he is smart enough to delete cookies
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Bob Perry of Web Presence Consulting

Does the bad behavior module and the other ones that use the project honeypot method of spam control usually pick up on proxy useage or mis-use and block the user from causing any mischief?

Best Regards,
Bob Perry

"The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it." Elbert Hubbard

Kindred

no...  after all. good users use proxy services as well
Слaва
Украинi

mnn2

Quote from: Kindred on January 12, 2017, 12:52:48 AM
Aside from generating an unnecessary cookie, how would that help?
If the user is smart enough to use proxies, then he is smart enough to delete cookies

The urge to post troll posts perhaps will lower their guard! They probably will logout and login instantly. ;D

Bob Perry of Web Presence Consulting

Quote from: Kindred on January 11, 2017, 09:54:10 PM
there really is not any good way to deal with these sorts, except manually handling each account

Yes, each account needs to be addressed individually, but with just a few clicks you can effectively shut down their ability to post anything at all using the ban listings functions, depending on how determined a culprit this is will govern how severe the banishment, what i normally do is use a partial ban by taking away their ability to post permanently because a normal troll will make their intentions known with the very first post, so, if you have your usergroups set to make newbies pass verification before being approved to be viewed by the general audience, you will see they never fail to be caught right away and the normal users don't have to see their crap because you remove the post and ban them immediately, its no use using the warnings system unless you have a really busy and active forums site where someone may have just slipped up a little and stepped on a few toes or started a slight ruckus between other users, it happens
Best Regards,
Bob Perry

"The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it." Elbert Hubbard

Rust

Does SMF have anything like XF's Block Proxies, Trust+, DragonByte Security plugins?  The latter two, in particular, are very effective at halting poxy sign-ups.

Syn Gates

I have the same problem, and it maybe more annoying with some gmail account that have been banned but they can register again by adding a dot in their email account name. I have no idea to deal with this.

Arantor

To deal with the Gmail problem requires a rewrite of SMF's ban system.

KriKa

maybe limit of account per IP ?
the ptoblem is ip can be changed easy =/
Good Girl Gone Bad!

Tomorrow comes today.!

Arantor

Which is why you don't rely on it as it's super easy to get around.

Advertisement: