News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Newsletter emails not coming through

Started by snadge, January 12, 2017, 03:21:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snadge

I wish to send an email to all our users, but to test it I have checked STAFF only so i get the test email - if it works then i paste in the news and select all and send - thing isnothings coming through? I dont know what settings I should have under the emails section, could anyone help?

thanks in advance

richardwbb

Your question isn't holding much [technical] information, but I have had similar issues with the newsletter system. And I find it is a proper system. However, there is PHP mail and SMTP mail. Which one are you using and did you try the other one. You also have to tell us the sender address and the address you have used for your test. Try this sending again if you will, and if possible, send to someone else then yourself [I mean, not to the Site Admin but to the moderators group maybe] or if this isn't viable in the live forum [I know testing this on a local copy and not on the host won't tell you much, that probaby works anyway], create another group for testing purpose and register yourself with a different e-mail address as a Newbie and a regular member for example, and see if some of your e-mail attempts came through or not, and tell here your findings.
If my post in this topic looks ambiguous to you, then I'm with Murphy's law and General Stupidity. In other words, trial and error.

snadge

Hi thanks for your reply

its on PHP and didnt work on either SMTP or PHP, I tried sending to admin (there are two of us in that group) didn't work, I will try another group like you say

as for email setup...I havent touched it. I didn't know how it worked, I know that emails require servers etc, but I dont know how these forums work and being on a server I thought it should just work as is?

Be grateful if you could inform me of the setup procedure?  do I have to sync it with an email account in my cPanel?

thanks

Illori

does your forum send any emails out and are received? like when you receive a PM or a post has been reported to moderator?

snadge

yes it does... subscription to posts etc i get emails

thanks

richardwbb

I had to switch from PHP [what you have set], to 'SMTP'. That option requires an e-mail address with a password;

For the PHP setting you have there, your ISP has to have set this up already for you and most likely, you won't even find those settings. However, SMTP might work fine, so I think you should atleast try this. What you are describing, I had too, the notifications have allways worked over the years, the newsletter system mostly worked. But, I had even to try this 'info@' address, because 'no-reply@' stopped working, after a long functional period, without problem. And lastly, my ISP blocks this newsletter sending somehow, when I do not check 'Advanced, Ignore notification preference', so it might not be very user friendly, but everything is in working order now with the forum I am the Site Admin of.
If my post in this topic looks ambiguous to you, then I'm with Murphy's law and General Stupidity. In other words, trial and error.

snadge

Quote from: richardwbb on January 23, 2017, 01:59:54 PM
I had to switch from PHP [what you have set], to 'SMTP'. That option requires an e-mail address with a password;

For the PHP setting you have there, your ISP has to have set this up already for you and most likely, you won't even find those settings. However, SMTP might work fine, so I think you should atleast try this. What you are describing, I had too, the notifications have allways worked over the years, the newsletter system mostly worked. But, I had even to try this 'info@' address, because 'no-reply@' stopped working, after a long functional period, without problem. And lastly, my ISP blocks this newsletter sending somehow, when I do not check 'Advanced, Ignore notification preference', so it might not be very user friendly, but everything is in working order now with the forum I am the Site Admin of.

it seems odd... do you have to setup an email with your HOSTING? (I think that's what you mean by ISP?) then put the email address and password in there and it will be able to send?

i'll give it a go

Linkjay

What is your hosting company? Do you host it yourself?
I play games in my free time and volunteer my knowledge and support to the gaming communities of the internet.

You can contact me by these methods:
Use my Contact Script • PM me here • Add me on Steam

snadge

Linkjay

Quote from: snadge on January 24, 2017, 02:55:38 PM
Quote from: Linkjay on January 24, 2017, 02:51:52 PM
What is your hosting company? Do you host it yourself?

its TSO hosting

Okay I ran a quick search and found this:

https://www.tsohost.com/knowledge-base/article/777/setting-up-an-email-account-on-iphone-or-ipad

Go to step 5 and try and use those settings with SMTP on your forums. You will need to also create an email account on your hosting then plop in the email login and the password to that email account in the correct fields on the mail settings page.

It should look something like this:

I assume you are referring http://www.thetechforum.co.uk/ for this.

If it doesn't work, try it without the ssl://. If none of that works, submit a ticket with your provider and ask them for the correct email settings.
I play games in my free time and volunteer my knowledge and support to the gaming communities of the internet.

snadge

I tried as richardwbb suggested first and that works ...I think.. well I sent it to ADMIN first and I got the email, then I sent to ALL and I got another copy of the email...so Im hoping all my members got copy...heres why im suspicious they may not, before when i sent to the Admin group it was going up in PERCENTAGE done...took about 3-4 seconds - but for ALL it went straight to 100%..?

ive messaged a couple of regulars to see if they got the email - i did get it on the second attempt like i say, just it I was expecting a few minutes wait while it sent over 150 emails out??

I changed to SMTP and entered the admin email address and password (from an email account i created with my host), seems to be working, but i dont want to mark the thread solved until ive heard back from a regular member that says yes he got the email

cheers

Linkjay

Quote from: snadge on January 24, 2017, 03:21:43 PM
I tried as richardwbb suggested first and that works ...I think.. well I sent it to ADMIN first and I got the email, then I sent to ALL and I got another copy of the email...so Im hoping all my members got copy...heres why im suspicious they may not, before when i sent to the Admin group it was going up in PERCENTAGE done...took about 3-4 seconds - but for ALL it went straight to 100%..?

ive messaged a couple of regulars to see if they got the email - i did get it on the second attempt like i say, just it I was expecting a few minutes wait while it sent over 150 emails out??

I changed to SMTP and entered the admin email address and password (from an email account i created with my host), seems to be working, but i dont want to mark the thread solved until ive heard back from a regular member that says yes he got the email

cheers

Good to hear. You could also create a few test accounts in different groups on the forums to see if the emails go through properly.

snadge

its been confirmed that its come through so guess we can mark this solved...

for anyone else that may arrive at this thread richard helped me, well everyone did but his method worked

1. you must create an email account (such as [email protected]) with your host in your cPanel
2. then in SMF simply change to SMTP, enter the email and password and click save - thats it :)

thanks guys

richardwbb

Glad for you. What you have set is; telling SMF where to find the SMTP server and which username and password to use. So it isn't actually a e-mail server.

Quote from: snadge on January 24, 2017, 01:27:24 PM
it seems odd... do you have to setup an email with your HOSTING? (I think that's what you mean by ISP?) then put the email address and password in there and it will be able to send?

snadge

Quote from: richardwbb on January 25, 2017, 10:57:07 AM
Glad for you. What you have set is; telling SMF where to find the SMTP server and which username and password to use. So it isn't actually a e-mail server.

Quote from: snadge on January 24, 2017, 01:27:24 PM

cheers for the help Richard, now I can email all my users with updates if i need too... :)

Advertisement: