What makes Internet Explorer see a theme different then Firefox

Started by richardwbb, January 13, 2017, 10:05:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

richardwbb

situation
I have a 1.something theme, that I made 2.0.4 compatible. With 2.0.11, I threw out everything of this custom template, and went all the way with CSS and my custom theme is default based, with 'index.template.php' and three css class is name changed on 'Profile.template.php'. [I also changed scripts to 2.0.11 this way]

technical
See for yourself; [I am aware that the '1.0-ish', 'avatar - login - news - search', isn't displaying properly, it only does this with a responsive. That will be fixed, now I know a little PHP, because I circumvented that with CSS, with '110px' to make it cross browser '105px']

question
As far as I know, 1.0 SMF isn't 'responsive' and 2.0.4 either. Now I wasn't aware that Internet Explorer can do something, Firefox won't, how can that be.

Mozilla Firefox 47.0.2

Internet Explorer

Internet Explorer version
If my post in this topic looks ambiguous to you, then I'm with Murphy's law and General Stupidity. In other words, trial and error.

Shambles

IE11, Chrome, Firefox and Edge all show it correctly.

Must be IE9 I guess

Kindred

IE9 is outdated and doesn't subscribe to CSS standards...

in other words, microsquish didn't build it to comply with the same standards as everyone else, therefore, using CSS (especially modern CSS), you would need to build special CSS conditionals for IE9.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Illori

ie9 is also no longer supported by microsoft, so it is a security risk to be running it.

Steve

Side note: you're also at least 3 revisions behind on your Firefox.
DO NOT pm me for support!

richardwbb

Hey,

Quote from: Shambles on January 13, 2017, 10:28:56 AM
IE11, Chrome, Firefox and Edge all show it correctly.

Must be IE9 I guess

Your response gave me the idea to remove 'overflow-y: scroll;' from 'body', [index.css]. I expected to notice that it would be solved or different. However it showed something else, the machine this ran on [read on], has no recollection of anything on the harddrive after a reboot. I remember DeepFreeze, but that was going when Windows NT had something to say server wise. [I just looked Googled for a website [i've never been to 15 years ago] and w00ted on what they are saying now]

Well, I run VirtualBox with Windows 7 and Internet Explorer 9, and guess what, the 'problem'; vertical instead of horizontal menu, occurs in a 1366 x 768 window, now a video card in VirtualBox is a little different I know but I can't tell anything useful about this, But, it is saying Internet Explorer 9 has something.

Quote from: Illori on January 13, 2017, 11:31:35 AM
ie9 is also no longer supported by microsoft, so it is a security risk to be running it.

Oh, good one. The computer will forget everything what just happened after a reboot. I *could* circumvent that, but it is not my computer. I agree it is a security risk, together with the router of this ISP and the users that are around, haha. [I just happen to have visitors and for the computer, it can't break down by 'click here']

Quote from: Kindred on January 13, 2017, 11:06:06 AM
IE9 is outdated and doesn't subscribe to CSS standards...

in other words, microsquish didn't build it to comply with the same standards as everyone else, therefore, using CSS (especially modern CSS), you would need to build special CSS conditionals for IE9.

What is a microsquish. I never heard of it. I tell you honestly, I await Googling for this, to see your respone [or someone else's, or both if you don't mind] For the CSS conditionals, I believe you are right. That might or might not happen [That computer is just my way of having internet access overthere]

Quote from: Steve on January 13, 2017, 02:43:02 PM
Side note: you're also at least 3 revisions behind on your Firefox.

That is true. I called tech support and nothing was possible according to them. The red light for ADSL on a modem they support, turned out to be a IP conflict. However, I am running Firefox 50.

to all; I'll let you all know what I will do from here, it isn't very important. But an hour of CSS battling with Internet Explorer, I usually won't say no to.
If my post in this topic looks ambiguous to you, then I'm with Murphy's law and General Stupidity. In other words, trial and error.

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: