News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Questions about 2 features of 2.1

Started by Steve, January 13, 2017, 12:59:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve

As posted here: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=538198.msg3908810#msg3908810

There is a link to a list of changes for 2.1, most of which are pretty awesome. I do have a question about two of the changes.

QuotePrivate Messages are saved by default when sending a message (can not be turned off)

The header on the default theme can no longer be collapsed

Why can't PM's being saved by default be turned off?

Why the removal of the ability to collapse the header?

:)
DO NOT pm me for support!

d3vcho

Regarding the second one, I think that the header desing of 2.1 is different from 2.0 and that's why it cannot be collapsed in 2.1. Member info is now displayed under a clickable dropdown, so it's not necessary to collapse it.
"Greeting Death as an old friend, they departed this life as equals"

Arantor

QuoteWhy can't PM's being saved by default be turned off?

So it's permanently on to keep PMs that you've sent. It's not like you save any database space to keep vs not keep, and you might as well be able to see all the things you sent, rather than having to deal with 'things you sent you can't see because you didn't think of changing an option you might not even have known about'

I, in particular, am a fan of having fewer choices when the choice made for you actually makes more sense than giving you choices. Having 200 choices is great. Having the *right* things configurable is better than having all the things configurable.

Steve

DO NOT pm me for support!

Arantor

Quote from: d3vcho on January 13, 2017, 01:02:57 PM
Regarding the second one, I think that the header desing of 2.1 is different from 2.0 and that's why it cannot be collapsed in 2.1. Member info is now displayed under a clickable dropdown, so it's not necessary to collapse it.

Forgot to reply to this, but yes, this is the reason.

Advertisement: