Where to find the keywords

Started by richardwbb, January 15, 2017, 05:48:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richardwbb

Hey,

I've just ran in to something, I wonder, do I need to learn where settings are, or do I just need to learn how to 'find' those [I mean CTRL-F or grep for example, haha]. It is about '$context['meta_keywords'] '.

In an old topic in the 1.x community, it said; Admin - Feature and Options, layout. I have looked in the settings of SMF but I can not find this in a 2.x forum software.
Then I searched the code and besides index.template.php, ManageSettings.php and Subs.php are refering to '$context['meta_keywords']'

Can someone tell me where i can find this settings, or tell me where to look in the database itself [something I'm not expecting, but find a good exercise', or point me to a good read for this?

I am aware how Google bots value keywords.
If my post in this topic looks ambiguous to you, then I'm with Murphy's law and General Stupidity. In other words, trial and error.

Kindred

You mean the fact that keywords are pretty much ignored by google and the modern spiders?

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/SMF2.0:Features_and_Options
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

richardwbb

I've read here, and not only here, that keywords aren't valued any longer by robots. I learned a long time ago, when I started being a Site Admin off the forum I was a member of, so that is about six years ago, that keywords aren't valued indeed. However, because I was out of the loop for a good while [years], knowledge from top of my head started to fade. When I started searching for things I knew I would remember again by seeing it, those where similar things that new users search for. And so, by seeing links in Google, I noticed that Google -can- value ancient topics over topics that are obvious to me that should be valued better then the currently ones, sorted by Google.

Now I also learned that I've been using words that aren't very known to Google, it is a car enthusiast forum, it is about a specific model only. My keywords therefore have become 'make - model, model, make', instead of 'model, make'. I always believed the order of keywords didn't matter [my first experience with search engine keywords dates back to Hotbot].

Now it is so, that I am looking in to; 'make - model - engine type', but I noticed Google understands better '1.6' [which has two engine types, and '2.0', which has one engine type]. Now the tech savvy searcher should [-can-] type the engine type, [which contains this displacement too], but I noticed by creating pages with content, Google values words it already knows of, over words [an engine type, it isn't a word, but robots can't read, haha], that it is an idea to learn to see a relation between words the domain you are working on, that are already there [for my case, make - model], combined with what Google comes up with anyway [for example an advertising site with all the models].

Then this 'competitor', like my example, an advertising site, seem to be treated differently [more makes, and models], so I am still learning here, that Google somehow holds knowledge, it looks to me was 'typed in somehow', for example, it values '1.6' and even the order of how you write for example 'make - model  displacement' because that is how people write that down. And Google started somewhere a long time ago, [it must have been a huge human effort database in some point of time and I see no reason why that code wouldn't be responsible for anything any longer] So I am learning now, how to tell to Google, to put the domain and forum higher in the search results [in respect to everything it values [topic; cars, make and model], because I know that people which already own such a car, usually type; 'make - model' instead of 'make - model - engine type' or [make - model - displacement]. Keep in mind that domain age probably matters too.

And for the sitemap.xml, I've been looking at Google results for the domain I am responsible for a long time  and it always responded to have about seven thousand results. Noticing that some results held 'action=' I rewrote my robots.txt and I was expecting, that the Google robots in the end will look for boards and topics, not profiles for example. And also that Google would not put pages that are almost empty, before pages with proper content [seen trough human eyes], now, of those seven thousand results Google says it has, how is it possible that when I go to page ten [result 90 - 100], it is showing up to fourteen. And then with the fourteenth page, comes this message; 'your search hasn't given similar results [what I wrote just here, didn't translate well maybe], now for Google to report seven thousand results, page fourteen is kind of a soon stopping by Google. I did this with your domain too, you have two hundred twenty results instead of the one hundred sixteen thousand Google is saying. And yesterday I've uploaded a site map, after twenty four hours the domain I am speaking about, went from one hundred fourty results in Google to one hundred eighty, and it just didn't do that out of itself [before my evening of working with the webmaster tools Google holds]. YMMV since it is quite a challenge to get in to this without the patience [sometimes Google seems to not respond but it usually does over time] for Google's robots and understanding their way [Google development] of explaining things [They write a thorough manual but it looks to me it isn't holding a technical vision]. And last, I'm not telling Google anything about how I prefer to let Google index, I believe it is a good idea to let the most knowledgable [Google that is], decide for itself.
If my post in this topic looks ambiguous to you, then I'm with Murphy's law and General Stupidity. In other words, trial and error.

Kindred

That is a huge wall of text and after reading through it twice, I still am uncreatian what you are trying to say.

Google does not value meta tag keywords any more. People abused them, building keyword libraries  and spamming the page with keywords.   These days, google and the other engines value CONTENT.  That includes contextual words, especially words in the HTML heading, strong and emphasis tags.

Sitemaps just tell google where to start...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: