News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

SMF 2.1 installled in production

Started by zijO, January 16, 2017, 09:58:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zijO

Hi,
I  installed SMF 2.1 as soon as it come out, tried it at production site and everything worked.
Until now it works OK or at least I do not have any problems.
Occasionally I check for update but it never happens. I believe it is more than a year.
Would it be good to use latest version from github or just wait for official upgrade?
Any idea long to wait?

Sir Osis of Liver

Guess it's far too late to tell you you shouldn't be running 2.1 on production forum (more than a year??? ).  Beta 3 should be released shortly, hopefully before end of this month.  You can d/l current version from github, upgrade scripts are in /other directory, but it changes almost daily.  I tried installimg three times, Jan 8, 11, and 15.  First two installs failed for different reasons, third was successful.  It is most certainly a wip.

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Kindred

Additionally, as a beta, there will be no patches to upgrade. Every upgrade will require you to replace all files and run upgrade.php... and even that may be questionable since the upgraded does not necesarrily do the database changes between beta versions.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

zijO

I was happy, it looks and works good.
I hope somehow I will be able to upgrade.

zijO

QuoteBeta 3 should be released shortly.

Now I am a bit worried.

Would beta 3 be good for production?

Will upgrades be possible from beta 3?

Kindred

Not really...   you should really not even consider using anything less than a RC (release candidate) for a production site
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

The only time you should ever be using this in production is if you are familiar enough with programming to be able to fix any problems yourself.

I have no qualms running beta 3 in production but then again I can diagnose and fix any bugs I come across.

Advertisement: