News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

New Domain Name

Started by lazylivin, January 17, 2017, 10:12:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lazylivin

I thought this was going to be easy but it seems I may be over looking something. I purchased a new domain name from my existing host (1and1). My goal is to use the new domain name in place of the old domain name for the existing installation of SMF. Here are the steps I took

1.) From the 1and1 control panel pointed the new domain name to my forums web space.
2.) Went in to SMF forum admin panel > server settings > database and paths > changed forum URL to new URL.

I get a DB type error after making this change. I then tried the Repair_Settings.php and changed all paths with new url and get the same issue. I must be overlooking something. Hoping someone can point me in right direction. Thanks

ARG01

How long ago did you purchase the domain? Once a domain gets assigned a nameserver, it can take up to 24 to 48 hours to propagate. This usually occurs within minutes but sometimes takes a while, depending on the host.

Also, I am not positive but you may have to set up a database and transfer your forum. I don't know if you can simply point a new domain to your current forum, other than redirecting (forwarding).
No, I will not offer free downloads to Premium DzinerStuido themes. Please stop asking.

lazylivin

Quote from: ARG01 on January 17, 2017, 10:50:50 PM
How long ago did you purchase the domain? Once a domain gets assigned a nameserver, it can take up to 24 to 48 hours to propagate. This usually occurs within minutes but sometimes takes a while, depending on the host.

It has been about a week.

Also, I am not positive but you may have to set up a database and transfer your forum. I don't know if you can simply point a new domain to your current forum, other than redirecting (forwarding).

I think the backup and restore would create an exact copy of the database. That is why I am thinking it should be doable. Everything I have read it looks like using the repair_settings.php should do it but it isn't working for me. I keep getting load database error in Subs-Db-mysql.php on line 58

Bob Perry of Web Presence Consulting

Quote from: lazylivin on January 17, 2017, 11:34:41 PM

It has been about a week.

I think the backup and restore would create an exact copy of the database. That is why I am thinking it should be doable. Everything I have read it looks like using the repair_settings.php should do it but it isn't working for me. I keep getting load database error in Subs-Db-mysql.php on line 58

The pointers in your settings.php file of the root directory that tell the system where to find your databases are most likely still pointing to your old domain server, double check that file for correct settings parameters...
Best Regards,
Bob Perry

"The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it." Elbert Hubbard

lazylivin

Thank Bob Perry, I checked that and it was okay. Here is something that may give you an idea of what problem may be.

The screen shot below is what I get when running repair_settings from new domain name. I can run it fine from old domain name just fine. The repair_settings file is in same location for old and new domain. They both share the same webspace. I first had new domain in it's own web space but as a test pointed it to old domain names web space and get same error. I am beginning to wonder if the host didn't properly setup new domain or it is limited in some way. This is really throwing me for a loop. After about 12 hours of troubleshooting I am at a loss. I called 1and1 and they said everything is fine and published a 1an1 hosted website in my webspace to prove it.

Arantor

You probably have PHP 7 which is not supported by SMF 2.0.

lazylivin

That was it. For ****** sake! haha man that was frustrating. Thank you Arantor, Argo01 and Bob for your help.

Bob Perry of Web Presence Consulting

Quote from: lazylivin on January 18, 2017, 02:57:19 PM
That was it. For ****** sake! haha man that was frustrating. Thank you Arantor, Argo01 and Bob for your help.

Glad it is sorted, for future reference you may find the search function here quite useful, many of the common issues (both SMF related, and also Third Party module related) that new SMF owners run into are already addressed somewhere here and you'll find answers to a wide range of issues going back years...
Best Regards,
Bob Perry

"The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it." Elbert Hubbard

Advertisement: