Special Permission

Started by PeterEkberg, January 20, 2017, 08:54:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PeterEkberg

How can I set a permission for a group to read and write some boards and only read some other?
I've been trying to understand the permission system for two days now and are almost giving up on this.
Please tell me, is it possible or not ? And how, I really don't understand it.

Thanks
Peter

Illori

are you actually using SMF 2.1?

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

PeterEkberg

The version I am using is SMF 2.0.12. Maybe I am at wrong place. Sorry if so.

Thanks for the link anyway. I think it is to difficult to understand. I just want to set one usergroup to be able to create topics in only one or two boards, but they should be able to read the rest. Is there any way to set this up. I would be very greatful if someone can tell me step by step. I guess it is simple when you know how but I don't just get it.

Thanks

Kindred

and yes. I told you that there is.

At the link that I provided, and the ones that Illori provided, it describes the use of Board permission profiles.

You create a profile (call it, for example, "Limited User") "based on" the default profile

You assign your users who you want to be limited to a normal membergroup (call it "GroupA"). Everyone else remains as a "normal user" or other group.

in the "Limited User" profile, you set "GroupA" to NOT allow posting, etc.
Then in the board settings for Boards A and B, you set the profile to "Limited User".

ta da... in boards A and B, any user in GroupA is restricted from posting. In boards B and C, the user(s) can post.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

PeterEkberg

Thanks, this exactly what I have tried. I have two usergroups. One called UserRead with access to three boards. and another one called UserWrite with access to 10 boards and not the same three as UserRead.
UserRead can not post topics but UserWrite can.

I created a user who are member in both groups. But the user can still write in all boards.

Illori

then you are not creating a permission profile and assigning it to the boards as the documentation tells you to do.

PeterEkberg

So it is not the right way I did it? what exactly did I do wrong?
Both usergroups works by each self, but not when I am member in both. If one group has permission it will be the same for the other group also.

Kindred

You are not reading carefully.

user GROUPS are different from PERMISSION PROFILES
Слaва
Украинi

PeterEkberg

Maybe I'm not reading carefully, but I am trying and I have read but I don't understand. I'll tell the users to post in right area instead. We don't have that many. I have spent totally 4 days withouot understanding the permission and usergroup system. I would need a step by step guide. I may be a little slow :-)

Kindred

we have given you the links that describe the various permissions sections.

I think you are still misunderstanding.

There are user groups. these are groups that the user is assigned to and have a "global" permission set.

then there are BOARD permissions PROFILES.

these allow you to set DIFFERENT permissions PER GROUP from the default -- but these permissions will only be applied when you set the profile to be used for specific boards (in the board settings)
Слaва
Украинi

Steve

Don't get discouraged Peter. I've been using this system for four years now and I just spent two freaking hours figuring how to do the permissions like you want them. Admittedly I haven't tried to do anything like you want in a long time. I was going to give you a step by step but it's gotten late. Hopefully, if you haven't figured it out by then I can do that tomorrow or after you respond to this.
DO NOT pm me for support!

PeterEkberg

Quote from: Steve on January 23, 2017, 05:09:07 PM
Hopefully, if you haven't figured it out by then I can do that tomorrow or after you respond to this.

Steve, I would really really appreciate it. I was actually thinking about moving to phpBB forum which I understand better, but I'll give it a try now with your help. Thanks in advance /Peter

Steve

Before doing any of the steps below, wait for a full team member (Kindred, Illori, br360 or any other team member) to post and verify I've got it right. * crosses fingers *

Reading back over your posts so far I think I may have jumped the gun. As I understand it, you want one group who can read and write in, say, 2 boards and can read, say, 10 more. And you want the other group to be to just read all of them (and not be able to write in any).

If so ........

1. Go to Admin -> Members -> Permissions -> Edit Profiles
2. At the bottom of that screen create a profile which you'll assign to the boards that you want your UserWrite group to create topics in. Call it whatever you want; I used Posting Group.
3. You'll now see that profile in the list above that shows all the profiles. Click on the name of the profile you created.
4. You should now see all your membergroups listed. Click on modify to the right of your UserReadgroup.
5. You'll now see all the permissions for that membergroup. Scroll down to where it says 'Post topics and replies to the board' and UNcheck the box at the far right. I'm not sure if you have to do the same thing for 'Make new polls' and 'Post attachments' but it wouldn't hurt to do so.
6. Now go to Admin -> Boards -> Modify Boards
7. Click 'modify' for the first board that you DON'T want your UserRead group to be able to post in. On the next screen, where it says 'Permission Profile', use the dropdown box to the right and select the profile you created ('Posting Group' in my example in step 2 above).
8. Click 'Modify'at the lower left.
9. Repeat for steps 6-8 for any other boards that you want your UserRead group to not be able to post in.

For all other boards, do steps 6-8 but select 'Read Only' in the dropdown box.

Steve

Make a backup and then try this if you want Pete. Got one person to look over it and he says it looks good.

PeterEkberg

Thank you guys.

I really really appreciate your time. I will try this during the weekend when I can sit and do it without being interupted.
I'll let you know next week.

I'm so glad that you want to help me out.

/Peter

PeterEkberg

I am finally doing this now and there is a problem. After step 3, I don't see the Permission profile I created in the list. It tells in the header the name but it is not in the list and no modify button either of course. So I'm stucked :-) See attached picture.
Any ideas?
/Peter

Kindred

It shows in the header because you are editing that profile...

Each normal usergroup can get inn idividual permissions within the profile
Слaва
Украинi

PeterEkberg

Maybe, but there is no way to change the permissions because there are no modify button.

Picture1: ReadOnlyPartner created
Picture2: Clicked on ReadOnlyPartner and there is no modify button because it is not in the list either.

Advertisement: