Have to supply Username / Password twice to log in

Started by Frobisher, January 21, 2017, 05:21:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frobisher

I am the Administrator for a Forum and I have both an Admin and User account.
I have both a Laptop and a Desktop running Windows 10. Use Firefox almost
exclusively.

Recently installed patch to go from 2.10.12 to 2.013.

Do not believe any of the above is relevant but cannot understand how I have not see the following problem much earlier.

When I attempt to log in as Admin I have to enter the Username/Password twice most of the time. When I attempt to log
into my User name account, it logs in first time. This problem occurs on both the Laptop and Desktop.

Here is what I believe the problem is. Late last year I was attempting to negotiate a future contract with my current ISP.
Since then I now have a Static IP Address where I use to have a Dynamic one. So, both my Admin account and my User
accounts are showing the same IP Address (Static) when I am logged in (not at the same time).

Would someone please confirm that the Static IP Address is the culprit noting that I have two accounts.

Thank you, Norman
Windows 10 | SMF 2.0.13

Arantor

IP address is only relevant as an issue at registration.

When you say 'enter the password twice', do you mean entering the password a second time to get to the admin area?

Also, do you use a password manager/autocomplete and what message exactly do you get if you have to log in twice?

Frobisher

Arantor, Thanks for your reply.

No, I do not use a password manager other than Firefox saves my passwords if I want it to. In this case the password is saved.

What use to happen is that I would click on the Username in the login form and would be offered My Admin & User Usernames.
I would select the Admin Username and the Password would be automatically filled will the bullets. Then I would click on OK and the Password field automatically cleared.  After short time I would be logged in. Now what happens is that when the Password field clears after about 1 second the Username field clears. If I go through the process again, the Username field does not get cleared and I am logged in after a short delay.

So yes I enter I am goes through the process twice where I select the Username and the Password field is supplied by Firefox.

Thanks, Norman
Windows 10 | SMF 2.0.13

Arantor

And does that happen if you don't use the password manager?

Frobisher

By Password Manager I assume you mean Firefox.

I removed both the Admin & User saved Username / Passwords from Firefox.
This means I now log in by typing them in. The problem persists with the
Admin login. If I log into the User name account and log out, then attempt to

Thanks, Norman
Windows 10 | SMF 2.0.13

Kindred

The most common time I see that sort of behavior is when the domain and URL of the forum is not actually the domain that is being accessed, the first time.

In other words, you have set your forum to you mysite.com, but you are actually going to mysite.org and depending on Cpanel redirects...   or even, you set your forum to www.mysite.com and you are accessing the forum through mysite.com (and have not set subdomain independent cookies or an htaccess redirect)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Frobisher

Kindred, I think you might be onto something. However, I cannot log into the Forum at all now.
This is embarrassing. While troubleshooting and using FileZilla I have accidentally dragged
Folders (probably two) into other folders withing the Forum.

So, I have under the forum folder, the following folders.

attachments
cache
Smileys
Themes

Some of those folders have sub-folders which are no doubt correct but others have sub-folders
which I have inadvertently dragged into another folder.

What I need is the folder structure so as I can undo my screw-up.

This is so easy to do using a laptop with a Touchpad :-[

Norman
Windows 10 | SMF 2.0.13

Bob Perry of Web Presence Consulting

Quote from: Frobisher on January 21, 2017, 01:33:46 PM
Kindred, I think you might be onto something. However, I cannot log into the Forum at all now.
This is embarrassing. While troubleshooting and using FileZilla I have accidentally dragged
Folders (probably two) into other folders withing the Forum.

So, I have under the forum folder, the following folders.

attachments
cache
Smileys
Themes

Some of those folders have sub-folders which are no doubt correct but others have sub-folders
which I have inadvertently dragged into another folder.

What I need is the folder structure so as I can undo my screw-up.

This is so easy to do using a laptop with a Touchpad :-[

Norman

You are so right, it is very easy to do with a laptop mouse pad that is too sensitive, i hate those damn things... wireless mouses are cheap, you can correct the file structure by re-uploading a fresh set of the files but make sure you delete the server side first cause if you leave it as is, the mess will not be corrected by reuploading alone, the system will function fine but you still have messy directories... and i would not delete the root directory where Settings.php is located, but everything else should be okay to delete unless the directory was put there by a module... if it were me, since you'll most likely need to run upgrade.php anyway, i'd go ahead and delete everything except the root, reupload, then re-install all modules...
Best Regards,
Bob Perry

"The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it." Elbert Hubbard

Frobisher

Illori & Bob Perry, thanks for your replies.

Downloaded the Full Package for version 2.0.13 and used the folder structure to re-instate the structure for my Forum.
There were two folders that had been dragged into other folders.

I can now log into the Forum again but with the original problem.

May get back to this tomorrow if I can find the time and hopefully fix the problem.

Norman
Windows 10 | SMF 2.0.13

Frobisher

What I have found out in the last 24 hours.

1. According to a representative at my ISP, I have a Dynamic ISP not a Static one.
2. The 'login twice' issue affects both the Admin & my User accounts. *
3. In my forum folder I have an index.htm which clearly had something incorrect. #

* If I attempt to log into my User account (enter credentials twice) and then log out
and then attempt to log into the Admin account, it logs in first time. This also applies
if I try the Admin account first (enter credentials twice), log out and then log into the
User account.

# If I am correct, the index.htm must be created when the forum is first installed. It
appears (using Javascript) to check what the current window location is and then
transfer control to forum/index.php.

Norman
Windows 10 | SMF 2.0.13

Illori

can you try to log in using a private tab/window in firefox? also can you try to log in with firefox with your addons disabled?

Frobisher

Tried:

Firefox in a Private Window - No change.
Firefox in a normal window with Add-Ons disabled - No change.

Norman
Windows 10 | SMF 2.0.13

Frobisher

I have concluded the following.

The index.htm file in the forum directory was created by me for the following reason.

The way my website and the loosely integrated forum was built mean that I required
to ensure that a user was coming from the www.domainname.xxx and then change
the location to www.domainname.xxx/forum/index.php. This no longer works and is
not of any concern at the moment.

So, my question is, if I want to link to the forum from my website is the following correct.

<tag><a href="www.domainname.xxx/forum/index.php">Forum</tag>

where tag can be a div or p or any other suitable tag.

Can it be,

<tag><a href="www.domainname.xxx/forum/index.php" target="_blank">Forum</tag>

I am beginning to wonder if I should attempt a reinstall of 2.0.13 having backed up my current forum first.
Also considering changing the forum directory structure and installing 2.0.13 afresh.
That said, I am not giving up on solving the current problem as it use to work fine.

Norman
Windows 10 | SMF 2.0.13

Kindred

... I required to ensure that a user was coming from the www.domainname.xxx and then change
the location to www.domainname.xxx/forum/index.php.

How did you "ensure" and "change the location"?
that is likely to be your problem.... remove that and see if it works
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Frobisher

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
</head>

<body>
<script>
      if (window.location == "http://www.domainname") {
           window.location = "http://www.domainname/forum/index.php"}
</script>
</body>

No longer use forum/index.htm but use www.domaninname/forum/index.php to open forum login page.

Thanks, Norman
Windows 10 | SMF 2.0.13

Frobisher

Thank you one and all for your responses.

This problem has taken up far too much of my time so I have decided to give up.

Norman
Windows 10 | SMF 2.0.13

Advertisement: