Some users are not getting notifiactions any more

Started by jpiek, January 21, 2017, 12:55:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpiek

I'm running a SMF 1.1.21 forum.  And some users are not getting Notifications by mail any more.

As far as i know it's only with two users, one of them being an Administrator with all rights, the other is just a regular user...
"No notifications" means: Not on sunjects they replied to, not in board they marked to be notified on on new posts, and for the admin: no notifications  when a new user has registered.  Frankly, just no mail at all :(

All settings are correct in their profile, entering a different mailadres doesn't help. I see no errors in logs on the forum.. And i'm at a loss where to look for a cause, let alone a solution...

vbgamer45

What type of email is your webmaster from email set under server settings?  such as hotmail gmail yahoo etc?
And what isp is each user at such as hotmail gmail yahoo etc?
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

jpiek

Hi vbgamer45,

thanks for replying...

Quote from: vbgamer45 on January 21, 2017, 01:11:59 PM
What type of email is your webmaster from email set under server settings?  such as hotmail gmail yahoo etc?

Default PHP

And what isp is each user at such as hotmail gmail yahoo etc?

One is Ziggo and one is Hotmail (on both tested accounts..)

Another admin uses gmai, and it works fine, i use my own domainname and server and it works fine..
A lot of users use Hotmail btw.

Chen Zhen

Imo possibly improperly configured rdns settings which put you on a blacklist.
Hotmail will filter out those websites on specific blacklists whilst gmail will not (or perhaps not the same ones).
It might be prudent to run your website through a free service that checks such things.
ie. http://dnscheck.pingdom.com & http://www.dnsstuff.com/
If there is an issue then fix it if you have control else inform your host to fix it and you will also have to find out which blacklist(s) you are on & have your website removed after it is fixed (make sure by retesting several times).

It is worth checking since I have seen this exact same issue elsewhere.

My SMF Mods & Plug-Ins

WebDev

"Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune." - Noam Chomsky

jpiek

Hi Chen Zhen,

i ran the site through several checks and it doesn't show up.  I can ask the admin to change to a gmail adress, but i doubt it will help. Like i said, we have lots of users using a Hotmail adress...

vbgamer45

hotmail is hard to deliver to. You might need to switch to a third party SMTP.
Make sure the webmaster email is not set to a yahoo,gmail,aol email address
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

jpiek

Hotmail used to work perfectly... I'n have to ask my host what smtp to use..
We use our own domainname as sender....

jpiek

Ok, the admin email is set to gmail, lets see what that does..
next would be to set smtp to the smtp of our host

jpiek

Allright, setting email from Hotmail to Gmail worked..  Now we are gonna check why the Ziggo.nl account doesn't recieve mail... Another admin will change his mail to his Ziggo adress to check if he stops recieving notifications to...

I'm thinking of changeing the mail settings to the smpt server imstead of using the PHP_default setting. is there a way to check if this works after making the change ? Or should i just force SMF to send a mail by replying to a thread or something like that ?

Advertisement: