News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

template parse error

Started by eskie, January 22, 2017, 01:05:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eskie

while one of my team members was manually adding in a mod code, the site went down and gave us this error:

(Template Parse Error!

It seems something has gone sour on the forum with the template system. This problem should only be temporary, so please come back later and try again. If you continue to see this message, please contact the administrator.

You can also try refreshing this page.)

the issue is, i can't simply reset the theme to default, as this happened overnight and i was logged out as admin. what do i do?

Steve

Can you log in if you go to: your forum's url/index.php?action=login ?
DO NOT pm me for support!

eskie

no, the same error page comes up if i do that.

Illori

can you upload a fresh copy of the theme? or upload a backup that was taken before the changes were made.

br360

Can you get it using yoursite.com/index.php?theme=1

Change yoursite.com with the name of your forum of course

Sir Osis of Liver

Did you try forumurl/index.php?theme=1?  If that doesn't work, you can reset to default theme in your database.  Look in smf_settings and change theme_default to 1.  If the borked file is in /Themes/default or /Sources, you're screwed and will have to upload a backup or clean set of files.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Kindred

basically  if they were manually adding a mod then either
a) they did not fully add or modify the code
or
b) they screwed up putting the code in place.

I suppose that neither you nor they took a backup of the site files before starting to edit them?
if so, then just restore the backup.
(if not, then shame on you  and remember to do that next time)

if not, then you'll have to manually undo the bad code edits.

And finally... WHY was he manually applying a mod when the package manager will correctly and automatically apply mod edits in one go, AND created backup files so you can back out the mod if it screws things up?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Illori

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on January 22, 2017, 03:54:57 PM
Did you try forumurl/index.php?theme=1?  If that doesn't work, you can reset to default theme in your database.  Look in smf_settings and change theme_default to 1.  If the borked file is in /Themes/default or /Sources, you're screwed and will have to upload a backup or clean set of files.

you can also use repair_settings.php to do the same and not need to touch the database at all.

What is repair_settings.php?

Advertisement: