spammer is the claim but not true

Started by DarkAngel612, January 24, 2017, 11:46:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkAngel612

ok, I was wondering why this may be happening. I have a member (for years) that about 1 week ago started getting the message when coming into the forum. Not each time either. He has been testing for me for a few days now and he said that one day he can come into the forum 3 or four times then the next time it makes him answer the security question. Other times it can be the first visit or again after several visits then the question again cause it says he is a spammer.

He visits via his Samsung Galaxy 55/ Cricket is the plan handler. He is not a spammer nor has ever been but, is the software just being mean or does this happen with anyone we list as spammer too?

A week ago we we using SMF 2.0.12, I upgraded 2 days ago and it is still doing this to him. Nothing changed between the two versions and he has tried the SMF default template with same result...only the phone not computer.

Fantasy Attic ::  Fantasies Realm Market :: SMF 2.0+ with various mods and TinyPortal

foxesdancingonsnow

I'm by no means an expert, so there are likely people here who know way more about this than I do, but something very similar sounding happened on our forum recently with a good, contributing member who definitely was not a spammer.  Has your user shared with you the message he gets (if any) when he has to answer the question?  For our user, it was something about BitNinja.  It turns out BitNinja is used by our host, and it had greylisted her IP address for some reason.  Anyway, for us, it didn't have anything to do with SMF, so it may be worth asking your user if he gets some kind of message displaying or popping up that gives more information--if you  haven't already.

DarkAngel612

Quote from: foxesdancingonsnow on January 24, 2017, 12:20:42 PM
I'm by no means an expert, so there are likely people here who know way more about this than I do, but something very similar sounding happened on our forum recently with a good, contributing member who definitely was not a spammer.  Has your user shared with you the message he gets (if any) when he has to answer the question?  For our user, it was something about BitNinja.  It turns out BitNinja is used by our host, and it had greylisted her IP address for some reason.  Anyway, for us, it didn't have anything to do with SMF, so it may be worth asking your user if he gets some kind of message displaying or popping up that gives more information--if you  haven't already.

I most certainly will, I will see if he can take a screen shot or write down what he sees on his cell phone. Thanks
Fantasy Attic ::  Fantasies Realm Market :: SMF 2.0+ with various mods and TinyPortal

Kindred

When posting a mod-list, please post in text, not an image attachment.

It could be any of your automated spam tools... httpBL, stop spammer (known for lots of false positives)
etc
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

DarkAngel612

OK about the listing.

As for the mod for spam, they would probably do it but there are no errors in the logs, server anywhere that I have looked which is why I did not think it was them. I have gotten false positives due to  username or IP being used by spammers previously then recycled IP from hosts ( my own dedicated server had that issue).

He is checking and will let me know when it happens again more details. It might be something with his phone, carrier too.

Advertisement: