Done: PHP 5.5.9 and PHP 7 Support for SMF 1.1.21

Started by own3mall, January 25, 2017, 06:45:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

own3mall

I just wanted to put it out there that I have converted SMF 1.1.21 over to mysqli, backported and replaced some deprecated preg_replace calls, and more to make it work on PHP 5.5.9 and PHP 7.0.  I have tested it thoroughly from scratch (install and functionality).  It works great.

However, SMF won't let me release it for some weird reason.  That's too bad since a lot of us have old forums with custom functionality and themes that we won't be converting / upgrading.  It's entirely possible to do though.  I have my SMF 1.1.21 versions converted on my sites.

I use 2.x for new sites and projects, but for my old stuff, I'll keep it working despite PHP's breaking changes (poor programming on their part).

Illori

the license on SMF 1.1.* does not allow you to release it, it is not that we want to block you from doing so but the license selected at that time does not allow it. also since SMF 1.1.* is not receiving support it would not be recommended to do those fixes as security patches are not going to be released for SMF 1.1.*.

Kindred

first and foremost, SMF 1.1 is almost 9 years old at this point...

(and 2.0 will soon be updated to work on php7)

As for why you can not release or distribute your copy - 1.1 is under a proprietary license. So, there is no "weird reason"
Additionally, 1.1 is at end of life.
With 2.1 coming out soon, we are no longer provding support for outdated versions such as 1.0 or 1.1 (and continuing to use those is not recommended and is at your own (moderately high) risk, since they are no receiving security updates either)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

own3mall

I don't understand since SMF 2.x's code base is so similar to 1.1's in some regards... you've opened sourced that code, so how much of that code is considered open source in 1 then?

Really confusing that after 9 years and with it being so old you'd care if someone released an unofficial update.  Even if the license is still valid, who would care, and why?  It's obviously unsupported and SMF 2.0 uses the vast majority of the source code from 1.1.

Anyways, it doesn't hurt to keep things running for legacy purposes.  Airlines are notorious for running older software.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  The only changes I made were exactly what I listed above.  It's not a commercial release... it's a patched release.  The changes are so minor it's ridiculous, and yet, I cannot release these helpful changes to anyone else?  Your copyright is still intact from the changes.  It's PHP function call changes.  I don't understand this mentality. 

vbgamer45

Kind of it the same boat want to upgrade to PHP7. but kind of waiting for SMF 2.1 to upgrade my SMF 1.1.x hosting sites. If going to upgrade might as well do it once. The changes to PHP7 are not big for both versions of SMF.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Kindred

own3mall - you may not "understand this mentality" but it is a legal issue. If you don't understand, then just accept it.
and no... the BSD license of 2.0.x does not transfer back to 1.1.x, regardless of how much code you might thing is similar. That's not the way it works.

As for running legacy systems... yeah, they run legacy systems that suddenly have an exposed weakness and cause the potential crash of planes, the loss of credit card information or something similar.

There is a reason why systems get End of Life notifications.

I will note that there have been security issues patched in 2.0.x since 1.1.21 was declared to be the final 1.1.x release. Nothing too severe, yet.. but you are playing with fire.

VB - I understand your situation (not saying I necessarily agree, but I do understand. :P)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: