unbuntu and php7

Started by Malamut, January 31, 2017, 10:22:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malamut

Quote from: Kindred on January 31, 2017, 08:25:54 AM
it is not public.
:-\ Clear. It's strange, but why not)) Thanks! So I'll wait for official announcements)
Also, any decent host will continue to support php5.6 for quite a while yet.
No, you are wrong)) We have current Ubuntu LTS on our (dedicated) server and we can't install php5.6 from any official repository (with security updates, full compatibility with other packages etc). So we have no chance to normally support php5.6, it's impossible. I can do it only with hacks, unofficial repos, manual compilation or something like this. All this methods is very bad for production community servers and I can't use them)) There are no reasons to support php5.6 on you own server, only on hostings with lazy unprofessional clients.

d3vcho

The team is working hard to get this release out as soon as possible, but please be patient. Always remember that we're all volunteers and that we never promise any dats regarding releases.
"Greeting Death as an old friend, they departed this life as equals"

Malamut

Quote from: d3vcho on January 31, 2017, 10:27:31 AM
The team is working hard to get this release out as soon as possible, but please be patient. Always remember that we're all volunteers and that we never promise any dats regarding releases.
I know!)) Many thanks to SMF team for their work! We use SMF for Ubuntu LoCo forum, so we're also volunteers and know all about such teams)) My question was not "when", but only where is the main branch, I haven't found it. But I have no chance to find it because it's private, so I'll wait for official release 8)

Linkjay

Quote from: Malamut on January 31, 2017, 10:22:04 AM
it is not public.
:-\ Clear. It's strange, but why not)) Thanks! So I'll wait for official announcements)
Also, any decent host will continue to support php5.6 for quite a while yet.
No, you are wrong)) We have current Ubuntu LTS on our (dedicated) server and we can't install php5.6 from any official repository (with security updates, full compatibility with other packages etc). So we have no chance to normally support php5.6, it's impossible. I can do it only with hacks, unofficial repos, manual compilation or something like this. All this methods is very bad for production community servers and I can't use them)) There are no reasons to support php5.6 on you own server, only on hostings with lazy unprofessional clients.

Not quite sure what you mean. I was able to download PHP 5.6 off the official PHP site. My host also still offers support for both PHP version 5.* and PHP 7 so yeah.
I play games in my free time and volunteer my knowledge and support to the gaming communities of the internet.

You can contact me by these methods:
Use my Contact Script • PM me here • Add me on Steam

Malamut

Linkjay,
You should not compile anything in binary distros (in our case - Ubuntu) because of many things. In our case - it's a community server with many admins (all of them are volunteers), so we must use only official repositories because of security updates, compatibility etc. And, in fact, most of server admins should use official packages from repository. Only professionals should manually compile and configure smth. It's a very ambiguous (and so - bad) way for those who are not php and linux guru.

rooterone

Running coexisting compatible PHP versions in Ubuntu servers is as easy as running a few simple commands;

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ondrej/php
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install php7.1
sudo apt-get install php7.0
sudo apt-get install php5.6

These commands will install the most current such as 5.6 will actually bring 5.6.30 today

Malamut

rooterone,
This topic is not for discussion about php in Ubuntu. I know most ways to install php5.6 on modern ubuntu, but all of them are not good. And I just want to say that your instruction is very bad. At first, there are no add-apt-repository in ubuntu server (because you should not use ppa's on servers). Then, if you add this ppa, you will get also usupported updates to main php (php7), not only ability to install php5.6. I know how to solve all of such problems (and all others that can be here), but you don't. Please, don't advise to use ppa's and other unofficial repositories, which replaces core system packages, if you don't exactly know all side effects.

Steve

Um, he is my host and he does know what he's talking about. Let's just try not to get personal. If you two disagree, fine, let's leave it at that.

Quote from: Malamut on February 02, 2017, 04:24:29 AMThis topic is not for discussion about php in Ubuntu.

What is it about then? The subject line certainly seems to indicate that it is.
DO NOT pm me for support!

Shambles

Quote from: Steve
What is it about then? The recently edited subject line certainly seems to indicate that it is.

Corrected it for you ;)

Kindred

this was split from the "upcoming changes" announcement since it was very much off topic. :)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

live627

thank you for splitting and not locking this.

rooterone

In fairness to Malamut, I was being overly simplistic. But since the thread is split now, I should mention that the config files are located @ /etc/php/5.6 and /etc/php/7.0 (extension management etc) and the commands for switching between versions;

sudo a2dismod php7.0     #disable
sudo a2enmod php5.6     #enable
sudo service apache2 restart

Since I really don't want to get too deep here, I'm going to assume/pretend that anyone interested in this is already an adm and knows how to manage their mods & php.ini. :)

There is much good info around already. Search term; php7 and php5.6 ubuntu

Linkjay

Quote from: rooterone on February 02, 2017, 07:51:18 PM
In fairness to Malamut, I was being overly simplistic. But since the thread is split now, I should mention that the config files are located @ /etc/php/5.6 and /etc/php/7.0 (extension management etc) and the commands for switching between versions;

sudo a2dismod php7.0     #disable
sudo a2enmod php5.6     #enable
sudo service apache2 restart

Since I really don't want to get too deep here, I'm going to assume/pretend that anyone interested in this is already an adm and knows how to manage their mods & php.ini. :)

There is much good info around already. Search term; php7 and php5.6 ubuntu

Basically it seems like Malamut is over-complicating something that really shouldn't be that complicated.
I play games in my free time and volunteer my knowledge and support to the gaming communities of the internet.

You can contact me by these methods:
Use my Contact Script • PM me here • Add me on Steam

Gluz

The thing is, he uses Ubuntu Server LTS, and from what I see only have few options, to trust that ppa with php5.6 and pinning the php5.6 to update only that package and not php7 for the sake of getting all other official packages. Or to compile from the official source like any other package that not distribute binaries.

Advertisement: