News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Community Forum Software -->SMF ?

Started by landyvlad, February 03, 2017, 12:35:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

landyvlad

There is a forum I'm on which appears to have gone offline, but according to the footer on their website it is/was based on "Community Forum Software". 

I've not heard of this particular software before, or whether it is known by some other name?

There is a (very)slim possibility that I may be able to get my hands on the database with a view to importing the content to my forum which deals with the same subject matter.

As it's only a very slim chance (the admin is notoriously difficult to contact) this is purely a preliminary enquiry but

1. Has anyone head of that particular forum software?
2. Can converters import content to an existing forum, or can they only be used to import content into a new 'blank' forum?

Thanks.
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

Illori

can you provide a link to the forum? it is possible they modified the copyright and it is another known forum software but we cant tell without a link.

converters are into a blank forum. it is much more difficult to merge into an existing forum due to conflicting topic numbers, members ids etc.

@rjen

I have seen that footer text before...

http://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?
It reads: Community Forum Software by IP.Board

If so, the software is (was) found here: https://invisionpower.com/features/apps#forums

Running SMF 2.1 with latest TinyPortal at www.fjr-club.nl

landyvlad

Illri - no link mate, the forum is down, but...
Yep @rjen that's the one !

So... no way of importing stuff from an old forum into an EXISTING new one?
I'd be happy for all the OLD stuff to go into one nominated new BOARD in my existing forum, and happy for the member names on import to be changed eg from Michael to xMichael... so there would be no conflicts. If that's possible.
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

@rjen

You may want to start reading in the appropriate forum section here before asking...

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?board=132.0
Running SMF 2.1 with latest TinyPortal at www.fjr-club.nl

landyvlad

Thanks mate.  Will do.  I'll mark this thread as solved.

Advertisement: