News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

being logged out when attempting to install updates

Started by WhiteJC, February 10, 2017, 03:56:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Hi I've been having problems trying to install updates for 2.0.11

when I visit the package manager page I see the following message...

A few security vulnerabilities and bugs in SMF 2.0.11 have been fixed. You can install this patch (click here to install) to fix your forum and update it to 2.0.12.

after pressing (click here to install) I get the following message...

The package has been uploaded successfully

and when I press [ Install Mod ] I'm immediately logged out and see this message...

Warning!
Only registered members are allowed to access this section.
Please login below or register an account with Friends of Fulham.

any ideas?

Illori

ask your host if they can disable mod_security. that is most likely the issue and would fix it.

WhiteJC

Quote from: Illori on February 10, 2017, 05:14:35 AM
ask your host if they can disable mod_security. that is most likely the issue and would fix it.

this didn't work I'm still being logged out

Illori

then they did not disable it completely. what was the reply they gave you?

WhiteJC

Quote from: Illori on February 10, 2017, 07:22:08 AM
then they did not disable it completely. what was the reply they gave you?

they told me that they'd turned it off, I'll try them again  ;)

WhiteJC

they insist that they have disabled mod_security and that the issue is SMF.

we're going to move hosting bluehost have been dreadful over the last few months

thanks for your help

Dzonny

Considering your another topic and the fact that Bluehost really can cause problems like this - I believe that the best would be to move away from them, like you said.

richardwbb

I happen to have some 'disable mod security' htaccess code, that apparently came [e.g. installed, downloaded, pasted]. from SMF, but I totally don't remember how it got there, accept that I know it was me installing/ copying and pasting.

I do not know if this would work with any host, it appears to me it will, since Apache is quite strict on htaccess, and kind of not telling what went wrong. [PHP is easy compared with this]

You need to find and edit .htaccess;

<IfModule mod_security.c>
# Turn off mod_security filtering.  SMF is a big boy, it doesn't need its hands held.
SecFilterEngine Off
#
# The below probably isn't needed, but better safe than sorry.
SecFilterScanPOST Off
</IfModule>

I recently learned that my host isn't running mod_security. I agree, hosts that do, are on the dumb side of being unaware upto ignorant. I hope this will solve your problem, even if it doesn't, it might be a bit easier talking to your host about this.
If my post in this topic looks ambiguous to you, then I'm with Murphy's law and General Stupidity. In other words, trial and error.

WhiteJC

Quote from: richardwbb on February 10, 2017, 03:57:55 PM
I happen to have some 'disable mod security' htaccess code, that apparently came [e.g. installed, downloaded, pasted]. from SMF, but I totally don't remember how it got there, accept that I know it was me installing/ copying and pasting.

I do not know if this would work with any host, it appears to me it will, since Apache is quite strict on htaccess, and kind of not telling what went wrong. [PHP is easy compared with this]

You need to find and edit .htaccess;

<IfModule mod_security.c>
# Turn off mod_security filtering.  SMF is a big boy, it doesn't need its hands held.
SecFilterEngine Off
#
# The below probably isn't needed, but better safe than sorry.
SecFilterScanPOST Off
</IfModule>

I recently learned that my host isn't running mod_security. I agree, hosts that do, are on the dumb side of being unaware upto ignorant. I hope this will solve your problem, even if it doesn't, it might be a bit easier talking to your host about this.

thanks for this, unfortunately still no joy

Kindred

that htaccess will generally not work on shared hosting anyway...

Your issue is almost always due to a host misconfiguration...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: