News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

new topic different color

Started by brynn, February 16, 2017, 01:38:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brynn

Hi Friends,
I've just had SMF version 2.0.13 installed, along with Tiny Portal and all my mods upgraded to current. 

4 years ago, when I first started the forum, I had a mod installed - New Topic in Different Color.  But I didn't like it, because the color was bizarre, and it couldn't be changed.  So I uninstalled it, and never have used it again.

But now with 2.0.13, it appears that new topics are given a different color by default.  I've checked my Package Manager, read each mod title down the list one by one, and I swear that mod is NOT installed.

But I still don't like that color.  I've looked everywhere I can think of, for some kind of option to either change the color, or disable it, but so far, can't find.  Do I now need a mod not to change the color for new topics?

Or could there be another mod that is doing that?

Thanks for any comments  :)

br360

Did this just start happening when you installed 2.0.13? It could be the theme you are using itself as I know the theme author has created some themes that bold new topics.

Can you check the default theme on your site and see if it's happening there as well?

br360

Also, you can change the color of new topics in that mod. Go into index.css (of the custom theme you are using)and look for

/* New topics get a different background */
.new
{
background: #a0b9c9;
}
.new2
{
background: #baccd8;
}

Change the background color to whatever you want. If that code is not in your custom index.css, just add that code to the end of the file and then change the color

brynn

Well, it seems like it just started happening again, when we upgraded to 2.0.13.  But you could be right.  It could be the theme. 

(I don't have a lot of return members.  For new members, I get the red exclamation point to approve the first 2 messages by new members, and those don't get the different color.  It's only when returning members, who have moved past the approval system, post a new message where I see the color.)

I get confused about "default theme".  Sometimes it means the default theme I installed and chose, and sometimes it means the Curve theme (or Core theme, I always get them mixed up).  Which one do you mean?

Thanks for the code.  If it turns out to be the theme that's coloring the new topics, maybe I could use the mod to sort of override it?

Illori

when we say default theme most of the time we are talking about the curve theme which is the SMF default theme.

br360

Quote from: brynn on February 16, 2017, 03:04:34 PM
(I don't have a lot of return members.  For new members, I get the red exclamation point to approve the first 2 messages by new members, and those don't get the different color.  It's only when returning members, who have moved past the approval system, post a new message where I see the color.)
Those topics needing approval may not be getting the new topic color due to them needing approval which has it's own color; and once you do approve the topic, it is no longer new to you. If you have a test username on your site, I would check to see if the new topic color shows for those topics as well with that username-  as I would think it would.
Thanks for the code.  If it turns out to be the theme that's coloring the new topics, maybe I could use the mod to sort of override it?

You could try and see if it does; if not, try posting in the theme's support topic as there may be an easy fix

brynn

Ok, I switched to a different user, which I haven't used in a couple of years.  So most of the topics would be new for that user.  But they do not show that color.

I can't really check whether Curve is doing this, until I have a new topic from a returning member.  I tried to create one.  I tried logging in with one of my extra user accounts, and posting a new topic.  But when I switched back to my admin account, it does not show the color.

It seems like it should have shown the other color.  I wonder if the forum is using my IP address to identify me, rather than username?

Is there some way I can create a new topic that looks like it's coming from a returning member?  I could create another new user for myself.  But it wouldn't be any different from the other user. 

I guess I can try asking a member to start a new topic.  Ok, that's what I'll do.  I'll post back as soon as I finish that test.

Thanks again.

br360

Logging in with a different user name should give you the results you are looking for, as having the same IP address would not matter.

Did you change the color in the default (curve) index.css and did you add that block of code in your custom theme's index.css as well?

If you did, try doing a hard refresh (ctrl and the F5 keys at the same time) and see if you can see the new topic color logging in with a different username than the one that created a new topic

brynn

Oh no - my bad guys!

It's those messages which need to be approved which give that awful color.

I'm so sorry to lead you down the wrong trail!

Is there any way I can change that color?

br360

That you can change in your theme's index.css as well.

In the default curve it is this code-

/* Color for background of *topics* requiring approval */
.approvetbg
{
color: #000;
background-color: #e4a17c;
}
.approvetbg2
{
color: #000;
background-color: #f3bd9f;
}

Not sure if the same background colors are in the theme you are using though.

The .approvetbg color changes the icons and replies/views area and the .approvetbg2 changes the last post and subject/started by area

brynn

Thanks for your help br360!

I will definitely try to change that code.

Thanks again  :)

(not marking solved until I try it)

Advertisement: