problem with logging in and out

Started by the7778, February 24, 2017, 08:51:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the7778

hi,

i have a problem with logging in and out. when i try to log in, it comes up with a little box that just says error. and when i try to log out it says 
Unable to verify referring URL. Please go back and try again. im using php7.

Kindred

Are you actually using smf version 2.1 BETA?

If not, and you are using 2.0.13, then be aware, 2.0.13 does not support phpb7 at this time
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

the7778

Quote from: Kindred on February 24, 2017, 09:49:29 PM
Are you actually using smf version 2.1 BETA?

If not, and you are using 2.0.13, then be aware, 2.0.13 does not support phpb7 at this time

yes

Arantor

So what version of 2.1? The beta 2 which is over a year old or something from Github?

the7778

Quote from: Arantor on February 25, 2017, 04:46:01 AM
So what version of 2.1? The beta 2 which is over a year old or something from Github?

2.1 beta 2

d3vcho

You should use the latest build available on GitHub, since there are A LOT of new improvements and features between Beta 2 and the latest build; https://github.com/SimpleMachines/SMF2.1
"Greeting Death as an old friend, they departed this life as equals"

the7778

Quote from: d3vcho on February 25, 2017, 05:25:47 AM
You should use the latest build available on GitHub, since there are A LOT of new improvements and features between Beta 2 and the latest build; hxxp:github.com/SimpleMachines/SMF2.1 [nonactive]

when i try the github version, installed over smf2.1, it doesnt complete the install. i also tried it on its own and it does nothing.

Arantor

So you copied the files over the top, did you run the upgrades to fix the DB changes since beta 2?

You have to copy the upgrade files out of the "other" folder into the root and run it.

albertlast

the upgrade from beta 2 to github doesn't work.
only from 2.0.x to github is supported.

shawnb61

I used to get this all the time.   I never got to the root of the issue.

Back then I also copied the new files "on top of" the old ones.   I also generally restore my 2.0 db and test the restore immediately prior.  IIRC the problem went away after an hour.  I suspect (but never confirmed) a session issue, with mixing old and new sessions somehow.

Now, I delete all files and  folders except avatars, attachments, custom avatars, smileys and settings.php (following input from Kindred).   Then I copy the new files over, merging and overwriting.

I don't get that error anymore.
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Arantor

Quote from: albertlast on February 26, 2017, 10:02:04 AM
the upgrade from beta 2 to github doesn't work.
only from 2.0.x to github is supported.

So how do people that were developing on beta 2 upgrade? Are they seriously expected to perform all the SQL changes manually? (Given that the upgrader always used to work, I'm actually really quite disappointed that after however many years, this was broken.)

It's also so reassuring to those of us who are trying to build things on 2.1 that essentially instead of having to only fend for ourselves most of the time, we can expect to fend for ourselves all of the time.

It's just fortunate for me that I can start a community right now in 2.1 and fix anything I find. Shame about the users, I guess. You know, the people doing beta testing.

shawnb61

Anither thing i was thinking about looking into...  If you had mods that used hooks, the "copy on top of" approach kind of leaves them partially active, right???    There are entries (in the settings table?) that point to that old code that still exists???   
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

shawnb61

Regarding reruns - most of the Upgrader steps re-run fine.  I don't think all the new steps were written with reruns in mind - some explicitly tell you not to. 

One of many concerns here is the serialize vs json usage.  Second time thru, it finds unexpected json.

Arantor

Quote from: shawnb61 on February 26, 2017, 10:22:29 AM
Anither thing i was thinking about looking into...  If you had mods that used hooks, the "copy on top of" approach kind of leaves them partially active, right???    There are entries (in the settings table?) that point to that old code that still exists???   

Correct, though this is supposed to be a step the upgrader should do.

Arantor

Quote from: shawnb61 on February 26, 2017, 10:28:45 AM
Regarding reruns - most of the Upgrader steps re-run fine.  I don't think all the new steps were written with reruns in mind - some explicitly tell you not to. 

One of many concerns here is the serialize vs json usage.  Second time thru, it finds unexpected json.

Which is even worse because it's long been established that using the large update package was an accepted solution for 'my installation broke, how do I fix it'. It's not like this is a hard problem to solve, either. Either check that things which are expected to be serialised are still serialise (e.g. begins with a:(number) or set a flag on completion to mark that JSON conversion was already done before.

shawnb61

Quote from: Arantor on February 26, 2017, 10:42:56 AM
Quote from: shawnb61 on February 26, 2017, 10:22:29 AM

Correct, though this is supposed to be a step the upgrader should do.

I just confirmed the integration hooks are properly deleted.  What I was seeing was old scheduled tasks hanging around.  I just opened a ticket to clean those up:   Upgrader - old mod info hanging around #3950

shawnb61

Quote from: Arantor on February 26, 2017, 10:45:11 AM
Quote from: shawnb61 on February 26, 2017, 10:28:45 AM

Which is even worse because it's long been established that using the large update package was an accepted solution for 'my installation broke, how do I fix it'. It's not like this is a hard problem to solve, either. Either check that things which are expected to be serialised are still serialise (e.g. begins with a:(number) or set a flag on completion to mark that JSON conversion was already done before.

I think where specific issues are found, we should log 'em and fix 'em.  Even if they are restricted to reruns of the upgrader.  It should run to completion. 

I see two different classes of issues here:  First, whether beta testers can rerun the upgrader.  Given beta testers should NOT be updating their live sites, that means they have already learned how to make a copy of their live site to test on.  I don't think it is a huge deal to ask the beta testers to repeat what they did before to work with a new set of 2.1 code.  I wipe out & refresh my 2.1 test site all the time...

The second issue is more interesting, the longer-term support question.  Where we see symptoms of a DB structure or upgrade issue, can we tell folks to rerun the upgrade, as has been done in the past.  I agree that should still be a goal. 

The problem there is how useful would that be.  In your example above, I think 13 tables have JSON entries in them, so that means an entire swath of updates get bypassed if the JSON conversion had been flagged as completed earlier.  What if those are the updates you need?  I do think the upgrader will rerun to completion today.  I just don't think it will be as helpful as it was in the past due to some of these significant changes like the shift from serialize to JSON. 

Illori

Arantor

Except the way this is outlined, dropping the 2.1-final upgrade on top of 2.1-final will have the exact same problem for the exact same reason.

Is this now going to be "you're doing it wrong" support too?

Illori

currently i do an upgrade [running upgrade.php] daily and so far no errors, those that i have reported did get resolved... so maybe we are slowly moving forward on this issue.

Advertisement: