Why can't I install any theme on 2.o.13? Nothing works!

Started by tpgames, February 28, 2017, 12:48:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tpgames

Why is the package manager not working?
Why is a brand new install of SMF crappy?
Why this?
Unable to connect to the server. Please try using this URL instead.

I can't even install it using:
1) Download the package to your local PC and extract it into files.
2) Using an FTP client create a new directory in your "Packages" folder, in this example you may call it "shout".
3) Upload all the files from the extracted package to this directory.
4) Go back to the package manager browse page and the package will be automatically found by SMF.

I used cPanel instead of FTP, but I should not be required to use FTP. I have installed themes before on my other forum.
I am very upset! I have permission to Packages set correctly. And, moving things to the Theme folder did not work either.
What the bloody hell is this moron doing wrong? Obviously I must be doing something wrong!

Lastly, I unstalled and reinstalled and created a new password. It says that the password is NOT valid when I go to log in. :P It did this the other time too. This time though, I did use a different name for the folder and did not use a hyphen this time. And my password is crappier - less than 30 characters. I also did NOT try to install through cPanel, a theme. But your package manager does NOT work!

I deted phpBB, but that would at least install!

I'll probably have to take your crap theme, and retheme it myself using CSS. That will take an hour. :P
Thanks for letting me vent and thanks for any help you want to give me, if there is any you can give me. Your server issues obviously, is your thing.  And no, this is NOT my first rodeo!

br360

tpgames

Thanks! I'll edit my post to say solved. This is why I asked "what am I doing wrong?" I don't install new forums and themes every month.Thanks again!

Steve

I know I should just leave this alone but I can't ...

Not a word of apology about calling our SMF Install crap? Nor about calling 'our' theme crap? Or about raging that our Package Manager doesn't work? Or that our servers are supposedly having issues?

Sometimes this 'job' (read volunteer work) makes me want to just shake my head.
DO NOT pm me for support!

Arantor

Quote from: Steve on February 28, 2017, 09:43:35 AM
I know I should just leave this alone but I can't ...

Not a word of apology about calling our SMF Install crap? Nor about calling 'our' theme crap? Or about raging that our Package Manager doesn't work? Or that our servers are supposedly having issues?

Sometimes this 'job' (read volunteer work) makes me want to just shake my head.

And people wonder why I left the dev team.

tpgames

As it turns out, I was doing what I was supposed to be doing in the first place. I was in the "install a new theme" section. However, I think the real issue is that I set up the forum using USA non-utf-8 language with a pro-utf-8 password and everything. I'm resetting it up with a fresh install, using German.

Dear Steve and everyone else offended by me: Please take me with a universe of full of salt. I have brain damage and would hire a IT if I could because of my brain damage does not allow me to say things properly when upset. I can't even rewrite it to make it what I really want to say. Sorry! And note, I did call myself a moron as I really did think I was doing something wrong, but as it turns out a I was not.

And here is the error message I got, which I should have posted (my apologies there):
Package upload failed due to the following error:
"Although the package was downloaded to the server it appears to be empty. Please check the Packages directory, and the "temp" sub-directory are both writable. If you continue to experience this problem you should try extracting the package on your PC and uploading the extracted files into a subdirectory in your Packages directory and try again. For example, if the package was called shout.tar.gz you should:
2) Using an FTP client create a new directory in your "Packages" folder, in this example you may call it "shout".
4) Go back to the package manager browse page and the package will be automatically found by SMF."

This was a previous error  message:
Although the package was downloaded to the server it appears to be empty. Please check the Packages directory, and the "temp" sub-directory are both writable. If you continue to experience this problem you should try extracting the package on your PC and uploading the extracted files into a subdirectory in your Packages directory and try again. For example, if the package was called shout.tar.gz you should:
4) Go back to the package manager browse page and the package will be automatically found by SMF.23:08
That is what I did the last time, and it didn't work.

Kindred

If you are getting that message then you are NOT using the theme upload/manager, you are still tyring to use the mod/package manager.

There are TWO DIFFERENT sections of the admin.

You can not load mods via the theme manager
you can not load themes via the package manager

Your issue has nothing to do with language.... and reinstalling it in another language will have no effect what-so-ever, because you are trying to load the theme in the wrong place, and when you reinstall the forum, you will STILL be going to the wrong place.

DO NOT GO TO PACKAGES... GO TO THEMES
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

tpgames

Thanks everyone! I did a reinstall with German language and that fixed all my issues. And yes, I will have to do a manual install of SMF next time I do a fresh install as that would avoid many issues.

Advertisement: