Activation email works, but it's not routing with Mailgun. Can anybody help?

Started by tjrpcaft, February 28, 2017, 10:05:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tjrpcaft

Hi,

Activation email works, both SMTP and PHP, but the problem is: it's not routing with Mailgun.
The email is received by Mailgun and sent to the member email, but it's not routed to third party emails we have.

However, Mailgun routes the emails sent with this php test script mentioned in this post:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=538818.msg3829363#msg3829363

Also, third party emails sent directly to our email account at Mailgun get routed also.

So, I guess it must be something in SMF config files I must edit.

Can anybody help?

tjrpcaft

Maybe this is related with something like this mentioned here:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=552029.0

Anyway, I got it working with Mailjet before I solved this issue with Mailgun.

Steve

DO NOT pm me for support!

tjrpcaft

Quote from: Steve on March 07, 2017, 01:50:07 PM
So everything is working for you now?

Yes, everything is working.

I don't remember where I read it, but I guess it was on the documentation pages of Mailgun, Mailjet, Sendgrid or maybe some other site, and the issue is not SMF related but has something to do with some keywords or expressions that are filtered by them from the email source information.

I got this response from Maigun support:

"Regarding the initial email account we can confirm that the routes do indeed work. Something within your environment isnt triggering the route when you send. Unfortunately trying to isolate that issue within your environment is beyond the scope of support."

I believe this Mailgun worker was being honest, but the truth is I got it working straightforward with Mailjet some hours later with my exact same server and SMF Forum configuration, with both options: PHP and SMTP.

So, I believe that something in my side was preventing the email routing triggering by their side, but I also believe that happens because of the way they have their settings.

But, I understand why they have that kind of issues, as I spent hours reading documentation about these email services and their task it's not easy: bulk emails, marketing, campaigns, activation, etc.

The services they provide are hard and complex to configure because there are a lot of issues they have to deal with in order to deliver emails that cross multiple servers and types of servers, each one appending some info to the email source, etc, in order to finally reach the recipients inbox, bypassing the spam folder.

No wonder why Google prevents email servers on GCE and blocks ports 25, 465, and 587.

I think managing a big mail server is a headache  :(

Advertisement: