News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

My forum is now saying my password is wrong for Admin!

Started by tpgames, February 28, 2017, 11:51:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tpgames

My forum is now saying my admin password is wrong! It won't accept. When I first set up the forum, I had to get my password reset due to issues. I assumed the problem was using icelandic characters in my password, and having a password that too long.  Now, I have to do that again (and did reset it just now, to same latest password) and will lose data that I just entered in setting up the forum. I do not wish to ban "reenter admin password" for security reaasons, but I might have to, at least until I get the forum setup. This is a bug. I did reset my password again. However, I did go to the page where I can change the password, but didn't do anything on that page (in the admin section). I didn't press "save" either I thought.

Does SMF scream "foul" if I use a password that uses several different languages? I refuse to stick to "american english only" passwords as they are way too easily hacked! Thanks!

http://globalwritersclub.com/foreignlanguageportal/index.php 

Using 2.0.13 version. What else do you need? And I feel like I am posting this in the wrong section! Sorry, I'm dealing with a severe food allergy reaction that I see doctor for tomorrow, as epi-pen won't cut it.
Moderator: Please move this to right section and post what I need to do to fix this. Thanks! :D

-kindred edit - removed the word "bug" form the title, since it is not a bug

Arantor

Did you configure the forum to use UTF-8 or not when you set it up?

tpgames

There was no options to choose "utf-8" when installing it.

Arantor

Observe screenshot from 2.0.13's install. Observe option second from bottom.

I'm guessing from this that you did not tick this box. This is why Icelandic passwords will fail. If you want to use Icelandic passwords, tick this box, or go into the administrative area and convert to UTF-8 since the default code doesn't quite work correctly (but frankly, it's not supposed to, since Icelandic characters don't exist inside the set of characters SMF thinks it has to deal with, and no before you bash SMF yet again, that's not a bug, that's a limitation of a thing called ISO-8859-1 which predates SMF's entire existence)

tpgames

When installing through cPanel, I never get those options. :P I did set Language default to British English utf-8.

Arantor

OK, here's a question: did your one-click installation also give you the choice to use British English that isn't UTF-8? If they did, congratulations whichever one-click installer messed this up, yet again. (This is a problem we have been complaining to them about for best part of 10 years)

tpgames

The only option is generic English, or some foreign language. Maybe I should have installed it in a language that is automatically utf-8, dealt with the repurcussions and then changed the default language. :P I'm not sure which language that is, as I've seen German default to iso 15559-1 (or similar) crap. I've seen Russian use anything but utf-8. Do you know which foreign language defaults to utf-8? Maybe if I have 3 options, I might be able to make one of them work. And if the settings and where things are located, are the same between English and the other language, I'll be able to figure it out regardless. Thanks!

UPDATE: I am trying to install it in German to see if that works. I can read German just well enough to get the job done and switch languages if needed.

We can close this if the issue is that softaculous is the people who control the coding that forced "I hate utf-8" on installations, as there is nothing you can do about that. Thanks!

Kindred

This is why we say that you should never use the one-click installers.
You should always get the current install archive from our download site here and do the installation correctly, yourself.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

tpgames

Installing in German language seemed to have worked. All issues I had before no longer exist. Therefore, I believe that 100% of all issues - including those mentioned elsewhere by me, was caused by non-utf8 install with utf8 password. Thanks!

Yes Kindred I would agree. I will have to learn how to install it that other way.

Advertisement: