I run a swedish forum and have never had problems with our letters åäö.
Only in some parts of the Tapatalk-app they look weird. Now I installed SMFpacks Social Login and when someone register a new account via FB, åäö doesn't work.
I get Petter BergstrÃ¶m instead of Petter Bergström
Is there an easy way to fix this or do I need to convert the forum to UTF-8?
I guess it´s not now because the language file says: Swedish ISO-8859-1
There is a setting in the forum admin: Convert database och data till UTF-8.
Should I press the convert-button? (feels scary...)
and do I in that case need to do all this first:
How to convert to UTF-8
This procedure will work well if you have used the recommended character sets in your language files in the past.
1. Start with a backup of your database. Character set conversions nearly always work correctly, but it is best to be prepared for the unexpected.
2. Check your default language file (Administration Center » Languages » Edit Languages ) and make a note of the character set used.
3. Go to Forum Maintenance > Convert the database and data to UTF-8 (this option will only be available if SMF detects a database version which supports UTF-8).
4. Select the character sets for your data (member posts) and database. By default, SMF will choose the character set of your default language file.
5. Press proceed, and your database will be converted. Depending on the size of your database, the conversion process might stop temporarily from time-to-time to avoid overloading the server. If this was successful, your forum should be converted to UTF-8.
6. For each of language pack currently in use, replace it with the UTF-8 version of that language pack.
7. Once all the UTF-8 language packs have been installed, convert the language settings of each user by running this query:
SET lngfile = CONCAT(lngfile, '-utf8')
WHERE lngfile != ''
8. In your Administration Center, change the default language, ensuring that you choose the UTF-8 version.
9. Check to see if all your data was properly converted.
10. If any of your posts contain HTML entities, you will want to convert these to UTF-8 as well by running "Convert HTML-entities to UTF-8 characters"