News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Customize 'Child board'

Started by Eudemon, June 03, 2009, 02:23:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FireDitto

Quote from: Eudemon on December 24, 2012, 02:05:54 PM
Quote from: FireDitto on December 24, 2012, 05:28:09 AM
:/ I'm not sure how to go about doing that, sorry. x.x

oops, sorry forgot the simplest way is just do an emulate uninstall
go to your package manager, click advance, then enter "SMF 2.0.2", uninstall, then install the newer one
lemme know if it doesn't work for you

It did, thank you.

I have noticed, however, that the mod doesn't do the children of children boards.
It does change the name on the board index, but inside, if the children have inner boards, it doesn't change those ones.

Screenshots;

The board index

The childboard, and it's children.
Second Pass Weyr<br />An AU Pernse RPG<br /><br />SMF 2.0.6 with SP 2.3.5

badon

This is one of the most important SMF mods. "Child board" is total nonsense to everyone except SMF. It confuses everybody, and leads to very bizarre misunderstandings. The word "board" dates back to the earliest 1960's and 1970's proto-BBS's (bulletin board systems), back at a time when people thought of "posting" like it's posting a note on a cork board with a push pin, for reminders and basic memos.

Since the internet was invented, "posting" became synonymous with communication, and the word "forum" was borrowed from ancient Greek and Latin political forums to describe the venue where the communication took place. In the year 2012, a half century later, the word "board" is not only obsolete, it is definitively wrong. Instead of posting a note on a board and waiting hours, days, or months for someone to read it (with no expectation of a reply), forums are capable of dynamic two-way communication. They're not stiff "boards", they're forums.

When will SMF catch up to the 1990's and stop using the word "boards"? It would be nice if this mod could fix all the wrong "board" words throughout SMF's code, and replace them with "forum". It just makes SMF look backwards and behind the times.

I know a lot of important SMF developers have complained about SMF's lack of progress. I suppose "board" reflects that.

Arantor

Actually it's not 'total nonsense', it's just 'mostly nonsense'. Parent-child relationship has a well defined meaning in certain mathematical circles, as subsets of graph theory. Changing it to 'sub-board' would be an improvement.

As far as 'board vs forum', actually the forum community has that pretty much evenly split between board = area, forum = site and vice versa. Whichever you use is ingrained from whichever software you come from first.

QuoteI know a lot of important SMF developers have complained about SMF's lack of progress. I suppose "board" reflects that.

Nah, the important SMF developers are quite happy with the terminology. The problem the important developers have is with the way the project is run, and this is not even remotely close to a 'symptom' let alone a sign of anything major.

ETA: So if you rename each board to a forum, what do you call the site collectively?

Eudemon

I suppose majority of the users and developers are happy with the wording or just don't care as of now
that's why I develop this mod for the rest who want to change it

As of other areas, if u have a portal installed the main site (menu part) will automatically changed to 'forum'
since u can modify the category name that part should have no issue
changing stuff like the link e.g 'index.php?board=7.0' i would say it's beyond this mod's capability as this mod is intended to do simple edits

if there are other areas other than what I have listed and what this mod does, that are bothering you feel free to let me know

Eudemon

2.7 released
+Added support for child boards of child board

FireDitto

Quote from: Eudemon on December 30, 2012, 04:46:43 PM
2.7 released
+Added support for child boards of child board

Brilliant. Many thanks :D
Second Pass Weyr<br />An AU Pernse RPG<br /><br />SMF 2.0.6 with SP 2.3.5

badon

Yes, thanks! I'm not old enough for grandchildren. I don't even have children! I have lots of subforums though :)

elf_fu

Hello!

There are errors with my MessageIndex.template.php and my BoardIndex.template.php wth the Argentum Enhanced final theme, while Back n Black has none. I've tried parsing and finding the code to replace via note++, but no luck. Would anyone be able to help? This is exactly a mod I am looking for and would love to have it work.

GR

badon

Hi, this mod doesn't display its configuration options correctly in the SMF 2.0.11+ admin controls.

Steve

DO NOT pm me for support!

Eudemon

Unless there are behavior change on how SMF handles child board output,
this mod should work fine on new versions, assuming other mods did not change the above behavior.
let me know if you still have problem.

Advertisement: