Seperate Unread PMs

Started by dougiefresh, March 09, 2017, 09:44:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dougiefresh

Link to Mod

SEPARATE UNREAD PMS v1.10
By Dougiefresh -> Link to Mod

Introduction
This mod separates all unread sent PMs from the "already read" sent PMs and places them in the new Outbox folder.

Admin Settings
There are no settings available for this mod.  To remove it, you must uninstall it.

Legacy Disclaimer
This mod was part of the now-discontinued Enhanced PM System.

Related Discussions
o PM outbox/sent like phpbb
o Private Message Email Notification

Compatibility Notes
This mod was tested on SMF 2.0.13 and SMF 2.1 RC2, but should work on SMF 2.0 and up.  SMF 2.1 Beta 2 and SMF 1.x will not be supported.

Translators
o Spanish Latin translation by Rock Lee

Changelog
The changelog can be viewed at XPtsp.com.

License
Copyright (c) 2017 - 2019, Douglas Orend
All rights reserved.

Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:

1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.

2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT HOLDER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

Shambles

I would have called it "SEPARATE UNREAD PMS" myself  ;)

digger

digger

Sent Items and Outbox folders shows all messages as "from me". I do not see the recipients nicknames, it is very inconvenient.

Steve

As Shambles not so subtlety hinted, 'separate' is misspelled in your mod title Dougie. :P
DO NOT pm me for support!

dougiefresh

@digger:  I will look into the bug report.

@Shambles and @Steve:  Whoops, just now noticed that that is misspelled....  I'll fix it for the next version.  Thanks!

dougiefresh

Uploaded v1.1 - March 11th, 2017
o Added support for SMF 2.1 Beta 2.
o Fixed undefined error when using context variable without folder.
o Fixed issue where "To:" was shown in Inbox and "From:" for Sent and Outbox.
o Added Russian translation, courtsey of digger!

Quote from: Shambles on March 09, 2017, 10:14:09 AM
I would have called it "SEPARATE UNREAD PMS" myself  ;)
Quote from: Steve on March 10, 2017, 07:52:23 PM
As Shambles not so subtlety hinted, 'separate' is misspelled in your mod title Dougie. :P
Thank for the misspelling notification, and sorry that I missed it  :P O:)

Quote from: digger on March 10, 2017, 06:23:06 PM
Sent Items and Outbox folders shows all messages as "from me". I do not see the recipients nicknames, it is very inconvenient.
This bug report has been fixed.  Sorry I missed that one!  Also thank you for the Russian translation!  It's been incorporated into the mod!

dougiefresh

Uploaded v1.2 - March 13th, 2017
o Fixed documentation issue within the readme.txt file.
o No other changes made to the mod.

I received this PM from someone, and I thought I should share the contents:
QuoteI think it said let you know. So, I installed your separated unread mod and I get the out box but all the PM's seem to go to the inbox anyway and not the outbox.

Unless I am mistaken, if I send you a pm, and eventually log in, all unread PM's should end up in the outbox??
My response to this question was this:
QuoteThe mod is intended to seperate out the unread outgoing PMs from the "already read" sent PMs.  Incoming PMs still go to the Inbox.  Sorry that this wasn't clear.

I hope this answers this question for everybody, and the mod description has been updated so that it is clear as to what this mod is intended to do....

Steve

Couldn't this mod and your other one (Edit Unread PMs) just be combined into one mod or do you think there would be enough demand for one or the other to warrant keeping them as two separate mods?

dougiefresh

Quote from: Steve on March 13, 2017, 02:28:23 PM
Couldn't this mod and your other one (Edit Unread PMs) just be combined into one mod or do you think there would be enough demand for one or the other to warrant keeping them as two separate mods?
Yup, it could, but it won't be combined (at least, not anytime soon by me).  Part of the problem with my Enhanced PM System mod was the fact that the different functions interfaced as a complete mod; diagnosing why one particular part wasn't working or giving weird results was getting ridiculous!  I decided to break that mod down into separate pieces so that if one part had problems, I could more easily fix them.  Also, adding features related to each mod is much easier when I don't have to wade through a humugous mod to look for the cause....

Steve

Ah, makes sense. Thanks for the explanation. :)

Dave J

No disrespect meant Dougie but I have renamed my version to 'Unread' as it makes sense in the fact the PM has been sent just not read.

If anyone else wants to do that just go to

/Themes/default/languages/PersonalMessage.english.php

Find

$txt['unread_items'] = 'Outbox';

Change to

$txt['unread_items'] = 'Unread';
If you want quizzes to add to the new SMF2.1 quiz mod go here . There are also walkthroughs in the forum to explain how to install them and other tips.

Steve

Outbox makes perfect sense to me. Think of it as if you're sitting at a desk and you have two places for things to be done. One is the Inbox for you and the other is the Outbox for things you've finished and need to be sent/picked up/whatever. Then if it occurs to you that you need to make a change to an item in the Outbox you can do that, as long as it hasn't been sent/picked up/whatever (or in this case, read).

Dave J

Quote from: Steve on March 18, 2017, 08:58:28 AM
Outbox makes perfect sense to me. Think of it as if you're sitting at a desk and you have two places for things to be done. One is the Inbox for you and the other is the Outbox for things you've finished and need to be sent/picked up/whatever. Then if it occurs to you that you need to make a change to an item in the Outbox you can do that, as long as it hasn't been sent/picked up/whatever (or in this case, read).

So your saying Steve, that if the recipient hasn't read the PM then it can be edited, is that right? If so there is no comments relating to that in the description

For me personally I only want to know if someone has read what I've sent or not.
If you want quizzes to add to the new SMF2.1 quiz mod go here . There are also walkthroughs in the forum to explain how to install them and other tips.

dougiefresh

Quote from: Steve on March 18, 2017, 08:58:28 AM
Thank you for explaining the idea behind combining this mod and the Edit Unread PMs mod so perfectly.....

Quote from: davejo on March 18, 2017, 02:51:20 AM
No disrespect meant Dougie but I have renamed my version to 'Unread' as it makes sense in the fact the PM has been sent just not read.
Why would I think it's disrespectful?  I might be able to add an option to make that change automatically within the mod.....

Quote from: davejo on March 18, 2017, 09:53:44 AM
So your saying Steve, that if the recipient hasn't read the PM then it can be edited, is that right? If so there is no comments relating to that in the description
If you've installed the Edit Unread PMs mod, then yes, you can edit any PM that hasn't been read.  This mod only seperates the unread outgoing PMs from those that have been read....

Dave J

Thanks for the reply and explanation Dougie

I do not have the 'Edit Unread PM's' mod installed and I'm happy with the way this functions.

Steve

Quote from: davejo on March 18, 2017, 09:53:44 AMSo your saying Steve, that if the recipient hasn't read the PM then it can be edited, is that right?

Sorry about that. My explanation didn't make it clear that this mod on its own doesn't allow editing of sent items.

@ Dougie - you're welcome.

Dave J

Quote from: Steve on March 18, 2017, 05:00:04 PM

Sorry about that. My explanation didn't make it clear that this mod on its own doesn't allow editing of sent items.

@ Dougie - you're welcome.

No problem Steve

dougiefresh

Uploaded v1.3 - March 30th, 2017
o Fixed installation issue that conflicts with Search Sent Personal Messages (PMs)

chrishicks

Two quick questions.

1. I think I'm looking at this mod correctly but I just want to be sure(it's my birthday today so I'm a whopping one day older than I was yesterday so I need help in my old age :)). If I install this would it counter those "I didn't read the message until ____" when they actually read it say hours/days earlier people correct? I have a few members who you can see reading their messages in Who's Online yet they will claim it takes them days to do so when asked. It's really annoying at times.

2. I want to install the Edit Unread along with the Search Sent mods so should I install one particular mod before another or does the order not matter?

Advertisement: