News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Private section

Started by Eksperience, March 12, 2017, 02:16:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eksperience

Hello world!

How can I make a section where only admins and the user who creates the topic can see his topic?

What I am saying is that the section is accessible by admins and normal users, but the normal user can see only the topic he created.

Illori

not really possible in SMF by default.

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2491 might do what you want though.

Linkjay

Yes, I had the same question you had and someone recommended me SimpleDesk (look above) and it works great
I play games in my free time and volunteer my knowledge and support to the gaming communities of the internet.

You can contact me by these methods:
Use my Contact Script • PM me here • Add me on Steam

Arantor

SMF isn't designed to do what is being discussed, and SimpleDesk is the principle mod that can do this - while there are other mods, it's not possible to nail all the edge cases.

Eksperience

Aye Aye

I don't get into the hassle of using mods for this situation. There are two simple ways to do this without any mod:

1. Create a password-protected board, and provide your special users the password.

2. If there's only one special user, just create a new Member Group for that user, set up a new board and make it visible only to that Member Group.

Either of thee work fine.

Arantor

Password protected boards don't exist in SMF out of the box.

Though what you're proposing could mean a board per user.

Linkjay

Yes, I believe both of those solutions are highly ineffective and unnecessary and one of them, like Arantor said, won't even work with a default copy of SMF...

SimpleDesk, or any other addon like it, is a fairly simple setup and you get a nice ticket-like system for all of the site administrators to view and manage them.
I play games in my free time and volunteer my knowledge and support to the gaming communities of the internet.

You can contact me by these methods:
Use my Contact Script • PM me here • Add me on Steam

Advertisement: