Make UTF-8 as default character set in SMF installer

Started by digger, March 15, 2017, 07:06:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

digger

Can you make this selected by default for SMF2.0 installer? Not utf-8 forums with character sets other then english doesn't work properly with php5.4 and newer.
There is no need to install not utf-8 forum today.

Illori

no we will not be making this change. it is the default for SMF 2.1 and will stay that way. this is not a minor change which is why we have not made the change for SMF 2.0.

digger

We are wating SMF 2.1 for years. I don't think that it will be so popular when released. Many people migrated to other forum software already, many will stay on SMF 2.0.
Today, I say only about SMF 2.0. Some people setup as is SMF2.0 forum with any cyrillic lang for example and see that it's not work correctly. So, they remove SMF and install any other forum engine which working correct from "the box".

Arantor

It is a minor change in the 2.0 installer, it is literally one line of code different.

Illori

i seem to recall there was more then just one line required when we changed it in SMF 2.1, i could be wrong though. we would also need to make sure no issues from that change and making sure the language files are in utf-8 in the release which they are not.

Arantor

That's because we did more things in 2.1, like force upgraders to UTF-8.

But for 2.0, literally just changing the default means taking the tick box and having it ticked by default to install 2.0 as UTF-8. You wouldn't force this on 2.0 upgrades.

digger

Quote from: Illori on March 15, 2017, 07:53:14 AM
i seem to recall there was more then just one line required when we changed it in SMF 2.1, i could be wrong though. we would also need to make sure no issues from that change and making sure the language files are in utf-8 in the release which they are not.
People with latin languages have no issues if they install utf-8 forum. People with cyrillic languages have many issues if they install non utf-8 forum.

Basically, it's a critical bug in SMF 2.0. SMF 2.0 forum with non utf-8 cyrillic language don't work correctly on php5.4 and newer, there is many issues with string functions. If you position SMF 2.0 as working with non utf-8 languages why this bug not fixed? If SMF 2.0 don't work with no utf-8 languages why we have this choice in the install script?

Kindred

Because, when 2.0 was release,d it was not required. That's why.

And it's not fully a bug, since, during install, you can select UTF8...    so it's not like the system is actually broken on Cyrillic languages...  it's only broken if you don't tell it to use UTF8... (in other words, while I don't disagree that urf8 should probably be the default, these days, you calling this a bug is incorrect...   more of a user errors, because you missed a point of configuration during your installation.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

So you're expecting a user to know whether to tick that box?

Back when this was first a thing, it was because full UTF-8 support might not have been available on hosts as we are talking a long time ago. But in recent years there is no reason not to, and no reason to make the user choose.

Kindred

Quote from: Kindred on March 15, 2017, 08:38:39 AM
... while I don't disagree that urf8 should probably be the default, these days,

Did you miss the spot where I said this? ^^^
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

digger

Quote from: Kindred on March 15, 2017, 08:38:39 AM
Because, when 2.0 was release,d it was not required. That's why.

And it's not fully a bug, since, during install, you can select UTF8...    so it's not like the system is actually broken on Cyrillic languages...  it's only broken if you don't tell it to use UTF8... (in other words, while I don't disagree that urf8 should probably be the default, these days, you calling this a bug is incorrect...   more of a user errors, because you missed a point of configuration during your installation.
Actually system is broken on cyrillic languages. For example I have a good working forum with cyrillic non utf-8 language. Then my hoster upgrade php to any current actual version form ancient one and my forum doesn't work correctly any more. For my vision, system is broken. I see that there is a choice to select utf-8 or not utf-8, I see that there is non utf-8 languages in the download section, but this don't work for me.

Quotemore of a user errors, because you missed a point of configuration during your installation
People don't know anything about utf-8, they just install forum "as is" with needed language and forum don't work correctly.

Arantor

Advertisement: