Setting up email registration and error log

Started by RevuHelp, March 15, 2017, 09:08:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RevuHelp

I am new to SMF and am trying to set up my first forum.  I am setting up email conformation in user registration.  I have tried both PHP and SMTP settings and no emails are going out as I test it.  I checked the error log (as these forums recommended) but see no email related errors.  However, in just the 24 hours I have been setting this up, there are 173 pages of errors.  While they are not all identical, theya are all thre lines long and the middle line of each is:

8192: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead

Is this the issue?  Or a whole other problem?  What am I missing to get email confirmation to work?

According to my ISP, I am using v2.0 of SMF.

Thanks!

Steve

Illori

you need to upgrade to SMF 2.0.13 ASAP. that will also fix that error.

RevuHelp

OK.  Dumb question.  How do I upgrade?  I'm looking for an upgrade option in the Admin mode.  Or do I need to externally download it and then upload to my ISP?

RevuHelp

OK.  I found it.  What threw me was that each update is incremental.  It doesn't just jump to the latest version.  Once I get done clicking UPDATE over and over I'll try again and see what happens.

Is the mailing problem part of the bad version?

Illori

RevuHelp

OK.  Got the updates installed an the repetitive errors stopped.

Tried a test registration with PHP email verification.  Seemed to go thru fine as test user.  Never got an email.  No errors in log.

Tried a test registration again with SMTP this time (using settings as told by ISP).  Seemed to go fine as test user.  Never got an email.  Error log shows:

Could not connect to SMTP host: 110 : Connection timed out
2: fsockopen(): unable to connect to smtp.revuhelp.com [nofollow]:587 (Connection timed out)

So it looks like a timeout error.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Illori

then you need to verify that what you are connecting with is correct.

RevuHelp

It is.  It is the same settings I use to set up my personal email client and I can send and receive email just fine from them on both Windows and Mac using multiple email clients.

When I check the list of members, it shows the new "member" listed with the correct info/email etc. and a status of last online of "Never".

I deleted the member and tried again - same error.

Hmmmmm......

RevuHelp

OK.

Talked once again with support at my ISP (Network Solutions) and was told that what I was previously told by them was wrong.  The SMTP settings they gave me were for email client setup.  They said I needed to use Localhost as the server - but refuse to tell me anything else.

Any ideas?

RevuHelp

Well, after poking around this forum and a bunch of Google searches and some lacking "tech support" from Network Solutions, this is what worked.

Type: SMTP
SMTP Server: localhost
SMTP Port: 25
SMTP Username: leave blank
SMTP Password: leave blank
SMTP Password Confirm: leave blank

I logged out as Admin.  Registered as a new user to another email address and the confirmation email came thru in less than 60 seconds and no error in the logs.

NOW -

It's working but I don't know why.  Can someone explain to me what is going on?  I'd like to have it work AND understand it so I can build on this knowledge for future issues I am sure will arise.

Bob Perry of Web Presence Consulting

I don't claim to know why it suddenly started working with those settings, but I have come across situations where it was necessary to make a minor adjustment to the cpanel backend dns record settings associated with your site, in my case where the site setting for email type PHP was chosen and had same problem... by deleting the cname record mail.mysite.com and replacing it using A record instead of cname fixed it, your hosting company may have done something similar for you...
Best Regards,
Bob Perry

"The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it." Elbert Hubbard

RevuHelp

Well, my ISP was real coy with giving out info.  All they would say it that the mail needed to come from the localhost and not by using my SMTP email credentials.  They wouldn't tell me anything more.  I just happened to find a similar scenario in a Google search and tried the settings they used - and it worked for me too!

Steve

Advertisement: