News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

osTicket compatibility with SMF?

Started by JediKnightMuse, March 15, 2017, 12:21:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JediKnightMuse

Hi,

I was just wondering if osTicket is compatible with SMF or if it would need to be modified to work with SMF once installed.

Colin

"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

Arantor

Why not use SimpleDesk that does the same job but was designed expressly for SMF?

JediKnightMuse

Quote from: Colin on March 15, 2017, 12:31:37 PM
Hi,

Compatible in what sense?

As in...I have a friend who's building a custom library site through Perlbrew and some other coding stuff, and we use SMF for the forum portion of the site. I think what he wants to be able to do is have the tickets work for both the library he's building AND SMF...so if something happens to a user on SMF, like they get some weird error, they can report it through the support ticket system, and then he'll get notified of that error.

Quote from: Arantor on March 15, 2017, 12:34:28 PM
Why not use SimpleDesk that does the same job but was designed expressly for SMF?

I hadn't heard of/found SimpleDesk yet, but my answer would be the same as above, I think. I think what my friend is looking for is something that will work for both the library he's building and the forum at the same time.

For what it's worth, osTicket is already built in to our hosting through cPanel, and it's free regardless, so it's not like it's going to be an inconvenience for us to use osTicket in that sense...but if we can use it for the forum, too, that would be helpful.

For the heck of it, I'll at least look at SimpleDesk, too.

Arantor

There is nothing that will work magically for both use cases at the same time, because whichever route may require some custom work, but I'd argue it's easier to push things into SimpleDesk than it is to connect osTicket to SMF.

JediKnightMuse

My friend told me to tell you that I'm "really interested in the helpdesk system either authenticating against SMF or understanding its cookies (for single sign on)."

JediKnightMuse

For "single sign on," basically he's making it so that people can log into the library and the forum with one account, rather than two of them.

Arantor

SimpleDesk is literally built on top of SMF, you end up immediately authenticated.

Colin

Yep simpledesk is the way to go. We don't have a bridge between osTicket and SMF.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

JediKnightMuse

Yeah, we ended up using SimpleDesk.

This is resolved, now.

Advertisement: