News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Asking for help with formatting bug

Started by Coyote Keith, March 16, 2017, 03:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coyote Keith

Somewhere in setting up and moving into a new site install of SMF, I or one of my mods has created a formatting bug that is not in my old forum.  The top part of the forum does some strange things when the available window size drops low enough in width to hit a fixed width object in the post (like the post dialog box or a picture).

I have attached a screen shot of this when the window size is large and the formatting stays good and also when the window size is smaller and the formatting goes to heck.

I should just get a scroll bar and the formatting stays good.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Looking

Just looking at a screenshot cannot help. You have to look at the template vs CSS and see what is happening. Something a missing " or > could cause that problem too.

Coyote Keith

I can upload the current template file. Which .css is needed?

Illori

just uploading a file may not help track down where the issue is. a link may be more helpful.

Illori

does this issue happen with the default theme? if not then it is an issue with your custom changes.

Coyote Keith

I'm running the default theme. It only looks different because the color of the graphics have been changed. Also this is the same as the previous forum  @.org  and it does not have this formatting issue.  There are some mods added to this forum that were not in the .org one. But the theme and the css files are all the same

Sir Osis of Liver

I'm not seeing the problem with your test post.  Are you using a portal for the ads on the right, or is that custom?
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Coyote Keith

The ads are a mod by smfhacks.   They did not think their mod caused this although I do not have this mod installed in the old site.  The formatting issue occurs regardless of if the ads are viewable.

To see the issue, just reduce your browser window until the bottom slider bar is present. Then scroll to the top right. The more scrolling, the worse it gets

Sir Osis of Liver

That's really wierd, some bits are cut off, some are not.  Have you tried uninstalling the ad mod?

- R. Waters

Illori

i dont think it is the ads. how are you adding the image to the message? it seems it is too wide the stay in the border of the message body. i think if you try an image not in your gallery it may work without issue. it may be a gallery issue.

Coyote Keith

Yes I updated the test post with a public image. Without the fixed width image, you can't see the issue. Try the link now. Thanks

BTW, it does not matter the source of the image. Even a dialog box (like the post box) will show this.

Sir Osis of Liver

Nice kitty! (Sir Osis likes cats, taste like chicken).

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on March 16, 2017, 05:35:43 PM
Have you tried uninstalling the ad mod?

- R. Waters

Coyote Keith

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on March 16, 2017, 06:26:52 PM
Nice kitty! (Sir Osis likes cats, taste like chicken).

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on March 16, 2017, 05:35:43 PM
Have you tried uninstalling the ad mod?

No, not yet. It's now a manual un install and they did not supply the readable version of the mod so I'll have to look at the XML file to see what the un installer isn't liking. I may try and install it on the old site and see if the issue shows up there.

Coyote Keith

OK, I installed AddSeller Pro on the old site and there is no formatting issue.  I don't think it has to do with this mod.  One of the others had to have messed up something tho.

Sir Osis of Liver

Was rhat the only difference between the two installs?  Did you reinstall mods on new site, or copy all files from old site?

- R. Waters

Coyote Keith

I reinstalled all mods from scratch on a clean SMF install on the new site. Then I copied the DB tables over.

Sir Osis of Liver

I would revert back to a clean install, if the problem is not there, reinstall the mods one at a time and see which is causing the glitch.

- R. Waters

Coyote Keith

Yeah unfortunately I have hundreds of users online 24 hrs a day.  While it may be my only option, it's not a great one for me.

Sir Osis of Liver

You can set up a test forum in a different directory, clean install, import your production database, run repair_settings.php, try it there.  If two mods edit the same block of code, a problem can show up depending on which one is installed first.  Only way to determine that is to install the mods one at a time.

- R. Waters

Advertisement: